Miscellaneous Chatter > Writing

Some world building

(1/3) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---Thought I'd try some world building, as something to help swell toward that 300 page count. Kind of doing it in public, because I find it different to write something which I know will be in a public space (I find writing posts different to writing per se).

Gunning for about 300 words worth/a page worth for each area described. Perhaps 10 to 12 areas, done over a period of time. It takes time for my bollocks generator to recharge, after all...

Edit: Replies and comments are welcome - public post, after all!

~~~
The mountains of Agreas shimmered black, ancient tar still smeared across them despite the creeping forests best efforts. Thousands of years ago the Forsworn choir coalesced above it's range, their voices high, the ground below heaping in shimmering black mists turning to boiling black tar. They say a mountain village was engulfed, it's building and any remaining residents mummified in ebony. Now various trade routes wended their way through the mountains, stone made clear to sky again from the steady multitude of boots and donkey hooves. Mostly forbidden narcotics, passing through in areas guards found no comfortable lodgings. They originated from the Orwellos uprisings, where rebels had taken to hiding in the hills and had found good causes still need money, let alone that the mouths of those who follow good causes still need food. The uprising and rebellion had continued for some time and, as things do, when it ended, people still found they needed food and habits (of many sorts) tend to continue.
~~~

Okay, about 164 words. And I find myself at the torn point between failure, and yet berating the creativness that created anything to begin with. Yet the stamina is not enough...!

Still, 164 words...
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---The Fenaelza plain reaches from the dead side of the Agreas mountains, to the Inward sea. The plains are rich in the ruins of previous civilisations and lush plant life. Currently the kingdom of the White Rose, with castles, towns, villages and sprawling farms fills this region. However, augurs and funnily enough, various historians have been attempting to spread what is called sedition by the king. The augers, having their place (of which can be dismissed as superstition) have so far been merely stood over, but historians (who as yet are granted more credibility) have been arrested. Sometimes who rooms of old men, clutching their canes, at a time. Drawings of excavated ancient ruins and the ashes interned within and specimen boxes of ancient, canabalised bones, set upon city watch confiscation fires.

~~~
Hmmm, 130 words. I guess the ideas that draw near to each other and knit into a singular mass - what can you do about how many their are? You can only catch an amount of fish that are actually there.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---To the north are the lush jungles of Zeterth. Remnants of an acient crater dominate the shape of the lanscape, leaving the jungle to spew into a massive green pit. However in recent centuries a volcano has arisen near it's center, criss crossing lush green with veins of black basalt. The area has always had a history of ferocious lightning storms, where heardsmen and hunters often retreating and navigating around the area at any sign of seeing dark, rainless clouds forming in the sky. Even then perhaps missing fingers or toes from being struck by lightning. That or never being seen again. But since the coming of the volcano the storms have become even stronger. Stranger yet, some say they can actually see things in the lightning. Figures. Towers. Rendered in the skittering, blinding arcs that last much longer than any lightning has a right to.

There are also rumours of an individual who beseached the storm. Coming from a village assaulted by a warlord tyrant again and again, driven out and in madness of grief, seeking something, anything. Beseaching the storm and...she was answered. Rumours that she became something called an Electromancer. They say she went back to her village and it's tyrant woes, but latter the Stalk marked banners of another warlord came, with slaves. Lined up they were before the storm, bound upon wooden torture tables, the lives or those of their loved ones at sword point. They were commanding to beg. They say from this, something called 'slave cannons' were made.

~~~
253 words. I chewed that over for a couple of days. Except now I'm going to expect more, yet in terms of making up anything else I'll get a feeling of 'Doesn't that count as something already? Why am I making up more when what I make counts for nothing?'
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 ---Are these side notes? Or part of the story? I think the issue you'll have with the latter is making sure someone in the main story is affected by these events.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---This is the world. Possibly any story that arrises may simply occur from the various elements pressing on each other and on people in between them.

So it's hard to call them side notes or main story. They probably matter more than any main story, since by this method the main story comes after the world and the world tends to have authority over the main story, not the other way around.

I think it's probably a matter of where many different and seperate people would be affected by these places - taking that and massaging events so one particular person goes to each location (for various reasons) and is also affected by what is otherwise the experiences of many seperate peoples. Thus creating a single narrative by it occuring to a single person.

The areas so far, to me, seem like guns, fully loaded and cocked, with hair triggers. Someones gunna be shot - really, for traditional story, just need atleast one guy who is shot by them all in some way.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version