First Appearance of the No God

• 4 Replies

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:21:24 am »
So I've almost finished re-reading Darkness, and I've been fairly surprised that The No God hasn't appeared in any of Akka's visions. I always recalled the No God and his various questions being recurring throughout every book. Have I somehow just skipped over a couple of pages? Or does the Mog man himself only make his debut in Warrior Prophet?

A rather frivolous question, though I want to make sure I haven't missed any hints. Got a feeling we'll be getting Moggie back in some form this coming book...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:43:21 am »
I believe that is correct.  There are plenty of references to the No-God in Darkness, but none showing it itself.  The closest would be in chapters 15 and 16, where Akka dreams of Celmomas, but again, the No-God is referenced but not shown.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 07:28:46 pm »
Yeah, it surprised me too on my first reread many moons ago.  The No-God isn't described until
Minor spoilers for The Warrior Prophet
(click to show/hide)

The No-God is this sorta empty signifier in the first book.  I remember my original mental image of him was this massive metallic Colossus being, idk.  The Consult tekne-engineers need to get on that though!

[EDIT] TDTCB subforum, no open spoilers for future books.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:56:49 pm by Wilshire »

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:38:04 pm »
I SEE Thanks guys, glad to see I wasn't just being careless.

An interesting creative choice from Bakker. Seems odd for it not to be referenced at least at the end, but I suppose he wanted to keep some things mysterious.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 02:30:35 pm »
Well, it's referenced in the prologue and explicitly on the jacket of TDTCB. But yes, I feel like Bakker's slow tease of the world and the conflict were have been well done.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer