Earwa > General Q&A

Inrau and the Mandate [Q&A]

(1/2) > >>

mrganondorf:
I have a question!  In book 1, Inrau's situation with leaving the Mandate/knowing a bit of the Gnosis seems ridiculous to me.  Is this a mistake on Bakker's part?  If his situation is plausible to me, tell me how please!  I'm thinking Inrau ought to be marked/damned/completely unable to work anywhere near Momen with its College of Luthymae.   :-[

Wilshire:
Spoilers for all books in Prince of Nothing.
(click to show/hide)Think back to when Achamian talks to Kellhus during their initial phase of training. I believe it is around that time that Akka either explains, or has an inner monologue, regarding the process that initiates go through to learn the Gnosis. Typically students spend years first mastering the language before they learn any cants at all. Then, I think, they learn the words of the cants and start to memorize them without actually "casting" any magic, which limits their vulnerability to chorae. Inrau could have spent several years learning the Nonman tongue and some basic cants before Akka faked his death. He knew the words, but had yet to use them up until the moments before his death. Knowledge does not cause one to bear the mark.

mrganondorf:
(click to show/hide)Hmm...it just feels implausible to me.  Something something about denotaries somewhere later in the first trilogy?  Inrau comes off as pretty badass for still being a n00b.  Really like his one gnosis scene, Mr. Bakker, more of that please!
EDIT [Madness]: All responses in tags, MG :).

mrganondorf:

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on July 17, 2014, 01:11:58 am --- (click to show/hide)Hmm...it just feels implausible to me.  Something something about denotaries somewhere later in the first trilogy?  Inrau comes off as pretty badass for still being a n00b.  Really like his one gnosis scene, Mr. Bakker, more of that please!

--- End quote ---

Lol, this is going to be the most spoiler tagged place on tsa!

(click to show/hide)I'm
(click to show/hide)going
(click to show/hide)to
(click to show/hide)have
(click to show/hide)fun
(click to show/hide)with
(click to show/hide)it.

The Sharmat:

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on July 17, 2014, 01:11:58 am --- (click to show/hide)Hmm...it just feels implausible to me.  Something something about denotaries somewhere later in the first trilogy?  Inrau comes off as pretty badass for still being a n00b.  Really like his one gnosis scene, Mr. Bakker, more of that please!

--- End quote ---
(click to show/hide)I think his badassness is just a mark of how powerful the Gnosis is compared to the other schools. Even a total neophyte is a killing machine compared to an Anagogic sorcerer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version