Earwa > General Earwa

Benjuka

<< < (2/4) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Curethan ---I agree with go as a good anology for benjuka.

Sidereas reminded me of rithmomachy(the philosophers game ;)) more than anything else.

The idea of a game where the rules change puts me in mind of nomic.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Auriga ---
--- Quote from: Curethan ---I agree with go as a good anology for benjuka.
--- End quote ---

Go is indeed a better analogy, although I guessed on chess because it seems to have the same "niche".

If I remember right, benjuka was a Nonman game that the Ancient North picked up, and then spread from there into the Three Seas. The constantly-altering rules and very slow pace of benjuka seems like something Nonmen would come up with.

--- Quote ---Sidereas reminded me of rithmomachy(the philosophers game ;)) more than anything else.
--- End quote ---

Cool. I didn't know rithmomachy even existed, I'll have to read more about it. You learn something new every day.

Amazing, the stuff Greek mathematicians came up with.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Lol... +1 thread. This is bringing back the months I spent obsessed with reading about games throughout history in elementary school. So much of my extracurricular reading then was coloured by a specific flavour of the month all the time - sharks in grade seven :).

There are definitely games that near the historical pedigree of chess, Auriga, as Curethan's highlighting.

Fuck, I'd love to learn some of these games.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Auriga ---Looks like I was right about benjuka coming from the Nonmen:

--- Quote ---Benjuka is a subtle and ancient game of strategy played by caste nobility throughout the Three Seas.

A derivative of the more esoteric mirqu played by Nonmen, the first extant references to benjuka date back to the so-called Nonmen Tutelage (555-825)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Is that from Benjuka excerpt of TTT Glossary?

EDIT: Lol, it basically is the entire TTT Glossary excerpt.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version