H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 16, 2020, 12:17:38 pm »
We watched Dark on Netflix.  Went with the original German, rather than the dub, since I usually hate dubbed things.

I don't usually go in for shows like this one, but I have to say it is well done and entertaining.  Season 3 comes out in 11 days or so.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 16, 2020, 06:01:42 pm »
We watched Dark on Netflix.  Went with the original German, rather than the dub, since I usually hate dubbed things.

I don't usually go in for shows like this one, but I have to say it is well done and entertaining.  Season 3 comes out in 11 days or so.

VERY FUCKING SPOILERY
(click to show/hide)
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 16, 2020, 06:51:23 pm »

VERY FUCKING SPOILERY
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2020, 07:53:52 pm »
I love Dark.  Based on the intro, I assumed it would be some kind of creepy horror.  It's turned out to be one of the best Netflix originals.  Excited to see how season 3 turns out.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 17, 2020, 02:20:41 am »
So I started watching Avenue 5 and hmm ... strange beast, this thing is. I'll have to finish it to give final thoughts on it. So I'm being kicked around between thinking it sucks and it being brilliant. Some of the bits are very funny and had me laughing, which is hard to do for me with comedies. It's campy ( which I don't like ), but clever as well. Heavy cussing with callous humor which is normally not my thing ( I like to cuss, but find cussing in comedy to frequently be a cheap way to humor ), but some of it is extremely funny I have to admit. I wonder how much of the space stuff is accurate. It appears to mix accurate space physics with comic space physics, so it has me wondering, I'll give it that. Wondering if anyone else has watched it and what you think about it. Some very funny shit here and there. Zach Woods steels the show, not all of his bits are funny, but some of it will floor ya, he's a mad character in a mundane role on the ship.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 25, 2020, 10:52:31 pm »
Finished Avenue 5 - it's mixed, some great, much of it not so great. Some very funny shit thrown about.

I watched Prodigal Son. Another weird one, mostly prime-time shit tv, but I love Michael Sheen, great actor, so I stuck with it ( poorly directed into over-acting ). The lead actor sucks, that's a big problem. Some of the other actors aren't bad, but mired in boring formulaic prime-time story crap. Too bad, it could have been a nice take on the Starling/Lector dynamic in Silence of the Lambs ( obvious inspiration for the idea of the show ). I would've figured prime-time would've finally evolved to up it's game to match all of the original cable content that's come out over 2 decades now. I don't know, seems like the problem is the major studios refuses to pay for the writing and think they can come up with good stories on their own. Mostly stupid, all of the mystery and "surprise" falls flat given how poor the show is.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2020, 10:14:07 pm »
I've been meaning to look again at Avenue 5...your review seems mixed...would it make sense to start in the middle of it?

I blew through the John Wick movies and have come away convinced they are a prequel or sequel to the Matrix. They seem to purposely go out of their way to suggest video games, some of which I admit can be accidental or just thematic but other things - like passerbys being so NPC-ish they don't care about the bodies - seem deliberate....

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2020, 03:25:15 pm »
I've been meaning to look again at Avenue 5...your review seems mixed...would it make sense to start in the middle of it?

I blew through the John Wick movies and have come away convinced they are a prequel or sequel to the Matrix. They seem to purposely go out of their way to suggest video games, some of which I admit can be accidental or just thematic but other things - like passerbys being so NPC-ish they don't care about the bodies - seem deliberate....

Sorry I missed your post, Sci. I would recommend seeing all of Avenue 5 if you can. Not that you wouldn't catch on quick, it's a simple plot - but it's a vehicle for jokes and bits and some of it is really fricken funny ( so you would be missing some of the funny stuff if you started in the middle ).

Interesting take on John Wick - hmmm

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2020, 03:50:24 pm »
True Crime

So, while not "into" true crime, I have dabbled and it's been descent. I've seen Forensic Files and the like when I was out of town in a hotel - while not great, I've enjoyed much of it. I've seen 2 True Crime "documentaries" lately and will give my thoughts. Guess I'll put in Spoiler, but not really needed since this is "factual".

I'll Be Gone In The Dark

(click to show/hide)

Don't Fuck With Cats

(click to show/hide)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 02, 2020, 12:40:28 pm »
Blade Runner 2049

Taking Q to a thread. The Q scrolled past some of your stuff, SmilerLoki - would enjoy you rehashing here if you want. In response to your point that they should've dropped the Harrison Ford character ( Deckard ). I didn't think of that, what it would be like without him - didn't come across as forced to me, seemed pretty good. His name helps the movie, ofc. But was he necessary - maybe not, but I found his performance entertaining, though it was overly done.

Movie and cinematography was very very cool - but it could've been more exciting. The ending kinda thumped and wasn't the beautiful Roy Batty monologue the first one had.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2020, 01:57:33 pm »
Raised By Wolves and Lovecraft Country.  Neither is perfect, but entertaining enough to watch.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2020, 07:57:44 pm »
Raised By Wolves and Lovecraft Country.  Neither is perfect, but entertaining enough to watch.

Was wondering about Lovecraft Country - couldn't figure out if it was good or just a cheap horror flick. Good enough, you say?

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 09, 2020, 07:54:15 pm »

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2020, 08:57:45 pm »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2020, 12:11:47 pm »
Was wondering about Lovecraft Country - couldn't figure out if it was good or just a cheap horror flick. Good enough, you say?

Definitely depends on what you want out of it.  It isn't cheap horror but also isn't high drama.  Sort of a mix, which might be off-putting to some.