• 207 Replies

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 06:20:24 am »
Maybe the hole under Viri was bottemless and he spent a long time falling towards hell without dying.
(click to show/hide)
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:00 pm »
But how is he still alive?
Here's a version about accidental time-travel. :3

Titirga was one of the brightest gnostics in history and needed a quick solution to his lil problem (no earth's echo to cling to — no possibility to walk in the air and save himself from falling down). Where Kellhus took cants of chatting and remade them into a teleporter, there Titirga could try to rethink the very idea of walking in the air. As they say death's proximity creates wonders.

Why use an actual and perceptible echo like some petty anagogic schoolmen? In general it's too demanding & blunt, in particular it's certainly impossible. So like a true gnostic he applies a wide abstraction of such echo, which is pure and elegant enough for sorcery to make all the work and to round all the rough edges. Poof! His wish is granted. He safely walks over the same earth again but paying the price of the different time (as a resulf of massive generality of his abstraction).

Literally Titirga is so badass he pierced the time after he slipped.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:29:18 pm by Simas Polchias »

Francis Buck

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 02:24:18 am »
I still think he's Moenghus, but I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

I will say that if Meppa ISN'T Moe, then he won't be any other surprise character from the past. The amnesia and everything about Meppa seems RIPE for a Bakker-style red herring.

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 02:59:42 am »
I'll finish compiling the list of guesses from the first thread sometime this week and edit it onto the first page here for reference.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 01:05:21 pm »
Never got in on this thread before it was locked. :'(

Lol, look for unlocked roman numerals, friend.

I'll finish compiling the list of guesses from the first thread sometime this week and edit it onto the first page here for reference.

Quote from: Madness
When I ever have some bulk free time, I'll get around to posting my Almanac - Ch. 12. Cnaiur tells Kellhus that Moenghus' eyes are almost pale enough to pass for Scylvendi? How does this relate to Ketyai?

So far we have Meppa is:

1. Xinemus
2. Inrau
3. Cnaiur
4. Moenghus the Elder
5. Meppa, Cishaurim, Second Son of Moenghus
6. One of the Three missing of the Nine Incandanti
7. One of Moenghus' Sect of the Cishaurim
8. Neuropunctured Metapsukhari
9. Titirga
10. Skin-Spy
11. Reincarnation of Fane

You had a couple more suggestions on page 10, Curethan. I didn't really check to read after that.

Also, I was reading through the thread searching for that list and I had answered Trisk and suggested that we've never seen Meppa's empty sockets - which is untrue. In WLW, Meppa raises his headpiece when Fanayal introduces him to Malowebi.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 06:10:52 pm »
Right now I'm leaning towards another son of Moenghus, since the fact that he had other (supposedly dead) children appears in the same book.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 12:55:12 pm »
Right now I'm leaning towards another son of Moenghus, since the fact that he had other (supposedly dead) children appears in the same book.
I  really want Moenghus to be dead but have agency in the world, like through unknown children.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 11:39:03 am »
It would be neat if the world was all connected underneath, so Titirga could spend eons wandering the depths before showing up in the south.  This would be a cool way for mansion to war against mansion back in yore.

However, I'm betting that Titirga was consumed in the blast from exploding diurnal.

The more I think about it, the more I think Meppa is Moe, especially since he turns up in the 3 seas just about the time Kellhus leaves.  He would need to be working from the shadows in the desert while Kellhus did his thing.

Perhaps Moenghus found the place where Fane had his revelations?  A mansion or topoi or something else awesome?  A topoi that looked out on heaven?

Perhaps Meppa is following the Erratics path?  He is cultivating love for Fanayal in order to murder him and remember?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 04:05:59 pm »
Thought we had physical description of Meppa that ruled out Moe?
Psuke glamor, no mark, perfect transformation. I hate the Psuke lol, it can be too much of a deus ex machina, which is why I avoid it in my crackpots and generally find it difficult to discuss anything involving it. Its why I don't subscribe to the meta-Moenghus theories/crackpots/nerdenals. I can accept it if its in the book, but until then i'll not be convinced otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:08:05 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »
Meppa is an initiate of old Moe's who adopted the snake that escaped when Cnaiur chorae'd him.  The snake only partially absorbed Moe's 'essence' shall we say, so when the initiate got hold of the snake, only part of Moe downloaded and partially scrubbed out the initiate's own 'essence.'  Thus, he has part of Moe's reasoning abilities, coupled with the initiate's passion.  Seems like this has been theorized before, but that's what I'm going with.
No whistling on the slog!

Garet Jax

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 05:30:35 pm »
Meppa is an initiate of old Moe's who adopted the snake that escaped when Cnaiur chorae'd him.  The snake only partially absorbed Moe's 'essence' shall we say, so when the initiate got hold of the snake, only part of Moe downloaded and partially scrubbed out the initiate's own 'essence.'  Thus, he has part of Moe's reasoning abilities, coupled with the initiate's passion.  Seems like this has been theorized before, but that's what I'm going with.

I like that.  Moe could also have some passions that escaped him before.  Dying could have that impact on someone I suppose.

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 02:19:33 am »
I had the same theory but with Cnaiur rather than the initiate.
Remember Moe says he needs Cnaiur's strength just before he gets choraed, and Moe's snakes are pressing hard against his temples...
Cnaiur's or Moe's arms would give either of them away because of the swazonds.

However, it is Meppa's skin tone that messes most theories up.
He's brown and the Kian and most surrounding peoples are pale (Ketyai and Scylvendi). As are Moe and Cnaiur.
Malowebi should surely have been surprised if he were Zeumi.

He could be from Nilnamesh, I guess - can't remember them being described as any particular tribe.

Another interesting thing, Fanayal is a direct descendent of Fane and the Cishaurim were synonymous with the Kianese tribe, the Indara-Kishauri (water-bearers) who saved Fane's life and attended his revelations.  So Meppa and Fanayal should be fairly closely related, at the least in a social setting. Meppa may not know who he is, but Fanayal should.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 03:00:00 am »
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the Kianine are pale. 

I've always taken it as if our Nilnameshi are like our south Asians like Indians and Pakistanis and the Kianine are more like our Arabs or North Africans like Egypt through Saudi Arabia and Iraq. 

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:32 am »
Malowebi refers to the Kianene as pale near the start of Ch5 WLW.
Meppa is described as nut-brown shortly after, when Malowebi meets him.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 04:01:28 am »
I think pale is a relative term.  Malowebi is Satyothi, which is black-skinned.  Any non-Satyothi would be pale to him.
No whistling on the slog!