mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2014, 04:58:49 pm »
Gotta say that I love Titirga, but I think he was probably a one story character.  I can't see Bakker's editor letting him include Titirga in TUC without more foreshadowing withing TSA.  The editor would point out that there's no guarantee that the average series reader is also 3lbbrain fan?  Would be cool to see him in more Atrocity tales.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »
Unless he isn't Erratic. He could be our first glimpse of the Intact. Maybe all of the sane Nonmen, those who really can remember, have been preserved with some kind of manipulation of the Tekne, and all of them are fully under the Inchoroi "control". But by control, I mean willing servants converted to their side via the IF and then psycho-modified to hold the millennium of extra memories.

After all, it was Kellhus that taught us that the most fanatic of his followers often came from the doubters, not the believers. In the end, everyone is a believer, a follower, they just need to be shown.

I like your crazy.

Gotta say that I love Titirga, but I think he was probably a one story character.  I can't see Bakker's editor letting him include Titirga in TUC without more foreshadowing withing TSA.  The editor would point out that there's no guarantee that the average series reader is also 3lbbrain fan?  Would be cool to see him in more Atrocity tales.

You don't think there will be new, yet unheard-of characters in TUC, MG?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 09:51:46 pm »
I'm betting on only minor characters.  In the False Sun, I got the impression that all of Titirga's coolness was to characterize him quick and cheap.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:21 pm »
Wondering if someone gave the Inchoroi the Inverse Fire to derail them.  Like they were bent on some completely other goal, like killing the gods or something, and were getting close, so the gods gave the IF to make the Inchoroi spend all their time/effort fleeing damnation.  Like a Tower of Babel thing.  If the IF did come from the gods, maybe Kellhus or Moe figured that out?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2014, 05:25:37 pm »
I want a POV of a Dunyain stairing into the IF.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 01:49:23 pm »
It's funny - would this be any different than a Dunyain looking into the Outside through Daimos?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »
Madness, until you said that, I didn't think much about the distinction.  I'm thinking that opening a window with the Daimos allows one to see a portion of a populated space of the Outside, so you see Ciphrang and the spaces between.

The Inverse Fire might not even be a window on the Outside since it's main function seems to be to convince the viewer that they are damned.  It's like a really fucked up mirror!  If the IF and the JE are supposed to corroborate each other, then the IF may be nothing more than a tekne construction that allows you to see yourself with the JE, like it's got a mini cam perched on top of a something that contains the fire?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2014, 12:50:44 pm »
I must know the distinctions!
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2014, 09:44:21 pm »
What is with this part:

“They speak of you often in Umerau and Sauglish,” Titirga said, his manner sinister for being so bland. “They say you have the eyes of a serpent…”

Shaeönanra smiled. Vanity had been a well-known flaw of his, yes. He had preened in the days before…

“No. Just a dog. No different than other Men.”

Does the 'eyes of a serpent' mean vanity?  Or is it merely something to aspire to?  Considering that in PoN the Cish use serpents for eyes and that serpents are considered holy, is there a relation?
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:53 pm »
What is with this part:

“They speak of you often in Umerau and Sauglish,” Titirga said, his manner sinister for being so bland. “They say you have the eyes of a serpent…”

Shaeönanra smiled. Vanity had been a well-known flaw of his, yes. He had preened in the days before…

Does the 'eyes of a serpent' mean vanity?  Or is it merely something to aspire to?  Considering that in PoN the Cish use serpents for eyes and that serpents are considered holy, is there a relation?

I've wondered about this, too.  It's probably just a metaphor, but I want it to be Psukhe-related.  Badly.
No whistling on the slog!

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2014, 10:11:37 am »
Perhaps the reference is more towards some kind of dangerous regard - the unblinking stare of a defensive snake can be unnerving, I think.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2014, 09:48:22 pm »
Perhaps the reference is more towards some kind of dangerous regard - the unblinking stare of a defensive snake can be unnerving, I think.
This make sense to me, though I don't know if that translates to vanity, though what some groups aspire to can be rather alien (no pun intended).
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2014, 03:41:13 am »
What is with this part:

Now that you mention it, I wonder if the gods' perspective could be described as "eyes of a serpent" as in cold, hungry, and reptilian?

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:59 am »
So he stood waiting before the gate of his cyclopean tower, Nogaral, staring southward across the heaving leagues of the Neleöst Sea, knowing that soon–very soon–a light would stride across the moonlit waters.

Looking at the map of Earwa the city of Tryse, is to the south of the Neleost. So how could he stare southward across the Neleost? ???

Edit: Nevermind. Doesn't look like he's in Tryse.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:53:35 am by Fëananra »

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 04:38:28 am »
I very much doubt the Inverse Fire is some kind of illusion or mind control device, since some Inchoroi must have invented it at some point, and they wouldn't want to use such a thing on themself. I imagine the Inchoroi culture, prior to the discovery of the Inverse Fire and damnation, was extremely nihilistic and hedonistic. I greatly doubt they believed in any Gods at all, or any morality that we would understand. Why would a member of a culture like that build a machine that forced the idea of damnation upon them?

I personally suspect they came across the invention of the inverse fire, the discovery of an afterlife, and the knowledge that there was objective morality and damnation, entirely by accident, in the course of other scientific inquiry. Naturally, the discovery and its irrefutability shocked and transformed their entire culture. Enough that they took their entire species to the stars to seek out the source of their damnation, and destroy it.