• 83 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 01:52:37 am »
The age old questions, what lies beyond the universe (alternatively, if the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into).

Answer, the Outside lies outside the universe :P
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2014, 03:09:08 am »
If inscriptions can be a sign of sorcery on an object AND if objects can be sorcerous (or magicish) without being marked (like sorweel's pouch) then these two items might be sorcerous:  The Tusk and the Interval bell for the Great Ordeal.  Leave it to Kellhus to build a magic alarm clock for the army.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 02:10:51 am »
Did someone put Mimara's sun-skin mail on the list?  If the Nonmen recognize Akka in Nil'giccas' armor, I wonder if Mimara will be spotted wearing someone's stuff too.

Perhaps Cleric's pouch belongs on the list: "the Nonman King's rune-stamped pouch" p. 579, WLW, US hardback.  Maybe it's like Sorweel's pouch.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2014, 05:32:19 pm »
I think the possible interpretation is that Meppa's cowl is just fashionable like it's in good taste not to make people look at your eye sockets.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2014, 06:04:33 pm »
Did someone put Mimara's sun-skin mail on the list?  If the Nonmen recognize Akka in Nil'giccas' armor, I wonder if Mimara will be spotted wearing someone's stuff too.

Perhaps Cleric's pouch belongs on the list: "the Nonman King's rune-stamped pouch" p. 579, WLW, US hardback.  Maybe it's like Sorweel's pouch.

Hmmm, and Anarcane pouch? Sorcery without a mark...

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 02:27:54 pm »
So, how to explain the Inverse Fire?
It's tecknology... How do our computers allow us to image a nebula light years away?

Yeah I definitely think it's tech not an artifact of sorcery.

One idea I was kicking around for a while was that the inverse flame was accidentally created while the inchoroi were designing some kind of cryo stasis technology for space travel. They developed the technology to put someone into a state of suspended animation and then resuscitate them. The suspended animation was effectively death and the person's soul was thrust into hell and than yanked back out when they were resuscitated. All of their test subjects came out of deep freeze screaming about hell and damnation. Some evolution of that technology could be the inverse flame.

Ultimately I don't actually think that that is how the inverse flame works but I bet it is in the same vein. Tech that accidentally leverages some metaphysical trick. It will undoubtedly be a super clever metaphysical trick knowing Bakker. Maybe there is a hint in the name?

In any case I think my idea provides at least an example of how pure tekne could create a window into hell.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:42:25 pm by dragharrow »

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:09 pm »
Also I have an artifact to add to the list that I don't think anyone else mentioned:
(The False Sun spoilers)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:53:03 am by dragharrow »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2014, 04:52:37 pm »
Mind the subforums.

The thought The Barricades were the actual Glamor that was cast over Golgotterath, the thing that
False Sun spoilers
(click to show/hide)

If so, then its pure magic rather than a physical construct, but I could be mistaken.

Your description of the cryo thing reminds me of one of the short stories in Asimov's I Robot. There is a short were two men make some FTL movement, and the AI refuses to tell them how it works (since telling them breaks one of the 3 laws, but there is some loophole because once they come out the other side they are unharmed).

As it turns out, one of them experiences what I imagine was supposed to be hell, and the other heaven, for a brief instant as they die and them come back out the other side alive.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:56:02 pm by Wilshire »

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 08:28:56 pm »
So, how to explain the Inverse Fire?
It's tecknology... How do our computers allow us to image a nebula light years away?

Yeah I definitely think it's tech not an artifact of sorcery.

One idea I was kicking around for a while was that the inverse flame was accidentally created while the inchoroi were designing some kind of cryo stasis technology for space travel. They developed the technology to put someone into a state of suspended animation and then resuscitate them. The suspended animation was effectively death and the person's soul was thrust into hell and than yanked back out when they were resuscitated. All of their test subjects came out of deep freeze screaming about hell and damnation. Some evolution of that technology could be the inverse flame.

Ultimately I don't actually think that that is how the inverse flame works but I bet it is in the same vein. Tech that accidentally leverages some metaphysical trick. It will undoubtedly be a super clever metaphysical trick knowing Bakker. Maybe there is a hint in the name?

In any case I think my idea provides at least an example of how pure tekne could create a window into hell.
Makes sense. Fire is hot cryo is cold cold and hot are inverse

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 11:47:11 am »
Mind the subforums.

Oh damn, my bad. Sorry :(

I wrote a bunch in response to you wilshire but its spoiler heavy.
The False Sun spoilers ahead:
(click to show/hide)

(related but not a spoiler)
I would bet that the glamour was produced by a magical artifact. I don't know if there is a solid consensus on this but I suspect that as soon as a sorcerer stops performing his cant, the sorcerous effect decays fairly rapidly. I've been assuming that the only way for magical effects to be maintained without constant spellcasting is through the use of artifacts. I could totally be wrong about this this though, I haven't really tried to think of a counter example yet.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:48:51 am by dragharrow »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »
I would agree with the above. Sorcerous artefacts allow sorcerous intent to be imbued into them. This would make sense if we examine the other sorcerous artefacts - for example, why use a Wathi Doll? Why not just house the soul in anything?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 02:34:45 pm »
I would agree with the above. Sorcerous artefacts allow sorcerous intent to be imbued into them. This would make sense if we examine the other sorcerous artefacts - for example, why use a Wathi Doll? Why not just house the soul in anything?

As for the Wathi Doll, isn't it mentioned that its use is somewhat looked down upon? I think there is some kind of taboo against even just using one, so making one would certainly be forbidden. Seems odd that a school convinced of its damnation would have taboos, but we know the Diamos is one such branch, so there must be others.
--

(click to show/hide)

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 02:46:34 pm »
Wilshire,
(click to show/hide)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 03:01:12 pm »
Seems reasonable. Once the magic is broken, its just a physical barrier...

Why not just throw a Chorae at it then?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:36:29 pm by Wilshire »

Garet Jax

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 03:14:38 pm »

Seems reasonable. Once the magic is broken, its just a physical barrier...

Why not just through a Chorae at it then?

(click to show/hide)