Here's hoping he's not damned for it... :cry:

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:14 pm »
Quote from: Swense
He's technically a suicide. In all probability he's damned for that, not counting the sorcery.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:21 pm »
Quote from: Sideris
I just go with the assumption that everyone, save that one mouse over there, is damned.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Only Zoidburg has been a good boy...

I was considering making a text based browser based game for this, if anyone wants to consider that angle? I already have generic registration and guest code written up. Just a matter of what play is about for a player.

On magic, I think you've got to slip out of the 'rules only model the physics of the universe' design focus. Characters could have luck points (or 'the world conspires' points), which they can spend to luckily avoid being within the gaze of a sorcerer, or even other events. Ie, how CnaiĆ¼r avoiding being killed by looters on the battlefield. Or what a lack of conspires points lead to with Xinemus's rescue attempt.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:40 pm »
Huh, never really thought of it that way. That's an excellent idea. I hadn't really thought of that point honestly. Despite the pain of the scene with the looters, only extreme luck saved Cnaiur. Bless narrative rulings.

More to ponder. And I like the idea of a text based game.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:47 pm »
So when people think about it, where does a primarily text based game gravitate to in the setting? To me it gravitates toward the Scalpers - it seems ideal for a bunch of players to come and do the genre expectation of games - battling something.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:54 pm »
That's basically what the setup I've got going is. Scalpoi plying their trade. But with World of Darkness, it tends to deviate from the deplorable D&D norm. I love the Storyteller system for it. It's not really about loot. But to get players interested in the setting? Gotta go basic first.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:01 pm »
Heh, I can't help but drift from the norm, it seems. My simulationist spidey sense is tingling, particularly the idea of the game being setting. I'm more of a gamist or small time narrativist inclined gamer, myself.

On a side note, this ( 'A hard look at Dungeons & Dragons') might be of interest to people in general.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:08 pm »
There's nothing at all wrong with it, no. There have been deep arguments between gamists and narrativists in Exalted, my game of choice. I simply can't stand the debate. I know mechanics, they're okay, but I cleave deeply with the maxim I've held for years - story first, mechanics later. It's created issues with some players who disagree, but overall, the idea has served me well.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:16 pm »
Depends if by story that refers to predecided story, decided prior to the game session. There's quite a bit of spontanious story in the pursuit of loot. Or even other character goals - the riddle of steel RPG had a system where you wrote in the characters goals and got bonuses if you followed them (note: it wasn't a trait system, where you are penalised or forced to conform to the trait).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:22 pm »
Indeed. Have you run much White-Wolf material? It's purely story, sure, there are traits and shite, but it's about the story and the characters action within. Some of the players know the books and will have ideas and they'll certainly be built in. But it'll be a short test game with x goal in the beginning, then swerve off the beaten path (as all good plans do) due to PC action or something that just goes awry. May have Sranc stats soon.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
I haven't run white wolf at all. Viewing it from afar, mechanics wise, they seem conventional combat engines, only simulating physics of the game universe. Like with my luck example, you don't see mechanics which manage the meta level of story arrangement. So story might control where combat occurs, but what controls or influences where story occurs is...not part of the rules.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:38 pm »
Indeed. As it shouldn't be. But that's been my experience and preference in these things.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:45 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Sorry for perhaps rasing a dead post to the top of the forum list, but did this go anywhere or did it die the beginning of June? I'd have to admit I know little of dnd and less about text based games, but reading through this it sounded interesting.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:52 pm »
Sweet zombie Jesus, I leave for a week or so and the Misc. forum explodes. As for the text-based game, I cannot answer. But I'm slowly plucking together an Earwa based mod for WoD.