Earwa human mataphor ramblings : uberspoiler

• 7 Replies

Omnirom

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: November 20, 2015, 06:32:06 am »
Warning : this is basically one huge spoiler, please don't read it if you've not read the first 5 books.

After all the fuss about getting a login it's just been awed page fright and lurking with intent for a month.

The problem : so many disorganised concepts, hundreds of highlighted passages which would require months of effort, a thousand thousand words and perhaps even a database to properly structure this in a way that merited the outside parsing these thoughts.

There's also some shy reluctance to theorize with some of the Grand Masters here, just having finished the second read through; and only just starting to form the biases which the third reading will certainly confirm.

The basic premise is that Bakker is an evangelist for the new school philosophy / world non-view, the number of detailed posts on his blog attest to this and it seems inconceivable that his works are not part of this mission, Neuropath explicitly.  There are echoes of philosophy of AI in there : the mind is the software of the brain, and also reflections of the Buddhist selflessness : just a series of unconnected thoughts with no self involved.  What thoughts passed through a person this morning is as much a part of them as the apple which passed through.

Here's how the metaphors line up with that reading so far IAHO

Earwa : a human

The hundred gods : the detached higher level drivers which govern human actions.  Rules of humanity, impossible to catch more than a glimpse of.

The outside : other humans.

Seswatha dreams : the hero myth, the spark that inspires humans to imagine they can change their environment, their own thoughts.  Deceiving.

Kellhus : the big, main false “I” in thoughts.  The conviction all humans have that they act in a logical way decided by themselves.

Magic (School) : a person's false belief that they have altered parts of themselves, control the inner world

The mark : the inherent falseness of the assumption

Damnation : non-acceptance of inevitability of what made oneself what it is, the illusion and hope that it can be changed by internal moderation necessitates failure. That failure is damnation.

The Prince of Nothing : grandness of the human internal narrative and it's belief that it has control.

Sranc : basic human urges, countless, often hidden to self, warred against.  Beautiful when we want them to be, animal when warring.

The Cishuaren : pure emotion, true, no intellect = no mark.

The No-God : a chance for salvation; destroyer of competing false thoughts.  “Tell me what do you see”.  This is what a human should be asking.  The realisation of the semantic apocalypse. Or is it the emptiness' urge to create a self.

The No-God causing infertility : If most entities in Earwa are a false thought process, then the entrance of a concept which nullifies all previous convictions on thought would cause them to stop cascading.

Conquering from North to South in first Trilogy and South to North in second : Time, human development.  First the mind that controls actions, then the genitals, then the mind again.

The Tekne : technology / science - things which look like our thought's but aren't. Visited many other planets – thought by many other humans.  Show us glimpses of uncomfortable truths.  Not understandable, gives rise to the No-God, the semantic apocalypse.   

Non-men : innate thoughts, more powerful and beautiful than normal thoughts.  Nearly immortal without needing to reproduce.

Chorae : moments of selfless realisation of that which came before determining everything, stop the illusion that is magic.

Akka : Self doubt.  Internal spy, capable of deception and often deceived.  Powerful.  Wants to challenge the arrogance and truth of the “I” which Kellhus represents by finding it's birthplace.

Destruction of Isthael (likely by Kellhus) : Humans experience the formation of the “I”, our self doubt tries to find it, but the I must destroy all traces of it to maintain the illusion. 

144,000 – Oh. Was really hoping it would be the number of synaptic firings in the brain needed to produce consciousness, or number of bits in a DNA sequence, or something like that.  Google just tells me it's the Jehovas.  That's just ruined everything.  There's always the Mayan long year, but that feels like stretching things.

I'll stop there, it's 7:25am after all.

Do have plenty of quotes to back all this up, honest guv, but right now it's too much to find them.

Comments, deconstructions, corrections warmly received. Sorry for awful butchering of Bakker words (Isthael, really)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:13:39 pm »
It seems I didn't offer a welcome after your other initial posts. Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Omnirom.

Unfortunately, I can't engage around here but I wanted to note - I think time has given us "Grand Masters" an undeserved glamour of inscrutable wisdom. I assure you we're all quite fallible and self-admittedly so ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:08:38 am »
Earwa : a human
The hundred gods : the detached higher level drivers which govern human actions.  Rules of humanity, impossible to catch more than a glimpse of.
The outside : other humans.
Yess. Sometime I wonder if the whole Outside/Earwa & The100Gods/Solitary God is a bookserie-wide model of human brain & consciousness (or even models).

The mark : the inherent falseness of the assumption
That's my favourite part of your research.

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:29:26 pm »
Welcome, you are among friends. I am loving you theories. They took a second to digest but i love it and made me think of Osmosis Jones lol but i dont understand what exactly is "IAHO"?
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:39:21 pm »
While I don't fully buy the whole "Earwa as a simulation" aspect, since i feel like Bakker has said that Earwa was envisioned as a "philosopher's paradise" of sorts.  So, in a way, yes, it is a big sandbox, but not in the simulation of something, but in the "logical" inference of the philosophical underpinnings.  I guess that in a way, that is a simulation, but I don't follow it so far as there being some kind of "man behind the curtain" aspect, like it being a computer running this whole thing.

This doesn't disprove most of your parallels though, which I think are mostly astute, especially (as has been pointed out) about the Mark.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Omnirom

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 11:24:02 am »
what exactly is "IAHO"?
apologies for such an untimely response; in the main post the intention was to avoid the use of "I" ness. Though in this moment it seems slightly cheaptrickery the strcture adheres to Bakker philosophy.  Information preparation using this paradigm feels (!) counter intuitive, ugly and hard for this human configuration.  So, a really long winded way of transmitting : In A Humble Opinion

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 01:38:09 pm »
I like it, Omnirom. Or this brain finds it satisfying ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Doubt

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 05:27:21 am »
Very interesting connections mate.

Non-men : innate thoughts, more powerful and beautiful than normal thoughts.  Nearly immortal without needing to reproduce.
Perhaps the thoughts of a child? Most of them killed off as the child matures, and only a few hang around during adulthood... Pop up every now and then and use
Magic (School) : a person's false belief that they have altered parts of themselves, control the inner world
to bring themselves more inline with their inner child's view of the adult.

Somewhere in my line of thinking is an explanation for the Erratics and their madness, can't quite articulate it at the moment. I'm sure you get me. :P Most likely I'm talking absolute ring tho ;D

Where do Gnostic, Anagogic Daimotic and Aporos schools of magic fall into your theory do yo think?
Cuts and cuts and cuts.