• 224 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:20 pm »
I talked with the manager of my local Bookmans about getting RSB on a main display for a couple months and she plainly told me that if I can donate enough books to keep a stock on the display shelf, she will keep him out there...  Anyone know the cheapest place to get a decent stock of Bakker books to donate?

One month later, anything ever happen with this? Not to put you on the spot or anything  ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:12:12 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Garet Jax

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:56 pm »
I talked with the manager of my local Bookmans about getting RSB on a main display for a couple months and she plainly told me that if I can donate enough books to keep a stock on the display shelf, she will keep him out there...  Anyone know the cheapest place to get a decent stock of Bakker books to donate?

One month later, anything ever happen with this? Not to put you on the spot or anything  ;)

No worries, I brought it up in the first place. :D

I have 5 copies of tdtcb, twp, and ttt (that aren't my annotated or bookshelf copies).  I will be purchasing 5 tje after my next paycheck and 5 wlw with the one after that.  Raising a little shit demon is quite a bit more expensive than I had anticipated.

I haven't talked to the manager in two weeks, but last we spoke she was still game, so I still have high hopes. 

I didn't bring it up again because my plan was to post a picture of the display as my update...

edit: I
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:12:24 pm by Garet Jax »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2013, 02:05:24 am »
What are you paying for sets of five?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2013, 08:00:16 am »
Read the synopsis in a book store, thought about it, went back and bought TDTCB.
Not even my local genre book shop stocks Bakker anymore.  Frikkin' heathens.

Mind you, its like when I was a lad and folk turned their nose up at the mention of fantasy, sci fi et al.  Now-a-day's media is saturation with stuff nerds pioneered.  I feel like Bakker will one day be seen like JRR is today.
And his kids with be managing the mmorpg rights...

Garet Jax

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2013, 01:47:05 pm »
What are you paying for sets of five?

Right around $20 unfortunately.  The books can be found just about anywhere online for .99 but you pay out the ass for shipping.  If I was just patient and went to some used book stores I am sure I could cut it down to 15 or less. 

But I am on track for 5 copies of each book with my original budget.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2013, 05:00:51 pm »
Lol - I'll gladly give you money for one or two rounds, Garet. Let me know if there is an easy way to facilitate this.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »
Lol - I'll gladly give you money for one or two rounds, Garet. Let me know if there is an easy way to facilitate this.
Second this. Send a PM.

Francis Buck

« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2013, 11:19:55 pm »

I've been playing Diablo 3 recently, and I can't help imagining how awesome an isometric Diablo-style game set in Earwa would be. There'd be some issues, like figuring out the dynamic between sorcerors and Chorae, since I don't think it's conducive to gaming as is, and also the fact that the enemies would have to mostly be variations on humans, sranc, and bashrag, but damn it, unleashing the crazy arcane stuff the Wizard does being transformed into some epic gnostic sorcery would be awesome as hell.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2013, 01:06:16 am »
Everyone just wants the Gnosis ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2013, 03:24:19 am »

I've been playing Diablo 3 recently, and I can't help imagining how awesome an isometric Diablo-style game set in Earwa would be. There'd be some issues, like figuring out the dynamic between sorcerors and Chorae, since I don't think it's conducive to gaming as is, and also the fact that the enemies would have to mostly be variations on humans, sranc, and bashrag, but damn it, unleashing the crazy arcane stuff the Wizard does being transformed into some epic gnostic sorcery would be awesome as hell.

Lol it would make a terrible mmorpg, not enough variety for monsters as of yet. You're better off RPing in a game like Path of Exile.

Might make a half decent RPG though. Could even add some morality.. I dunno fight your way through the sranc infested north to Golgotterath. DLC mansions, final dungeon would have to be the pit of atrocity, killing the Inchoroi.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2013, 09:46:20 am »
I don't know; you could have a non-man hero lost in Golgotteroth after it was sealed, fighting his way through the pits of the aborted. 
Endless opportunity for uncontrollable weaponized critters and so forth.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2013, 02:03:45 pm »
I don't know; you could have a non-man hero lost in Golgotteroth after it was sealed, fighting his way through the pits of the aborted. 
Endless opportunity for uncontrollable weaponized critters and so forth.
Thats a good point. I forgot about how big golgotterath is supposed to be. Could make it like Dante's Inferno, ever circling down to greater atrocities.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2013, 01:14:25 am »

Having been giving some free hosting space recently, I've been meaning to get back onto, using how urban dead works as a model for play, making a browser game for PON. Get killed, then you play sranc, until they are properly slain, then return as a human scalper...I think that'd tie in nicely to some of the themes of parralels in the book. Though other than that I'm afraid dishonouring the books themes (never mind that I probably only understand 70% of them - and that 70% is the more banal stuff). I'll note in regards to Wilshire's point that urban dead only has zombies as the enemy - and it's been going strong for years. Curethan's idea of being trapped as a non man IN golgoterath is pretty insane and bad ass, though! I was just going to focus on the scalper period.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2014, 03:34:34 pm »
Callan: Good point about Zombie games. I guess there is the potential to make a decent game out of the limited Weapon-Races that we have. A lot of video games only have a handful of monsters anyway, and just re-roll color pallets later in the game. Boss-like monsters would still be a bit of an issue though, otherwise any game would just be the wholesale slaughter of endless horizons of sranc.... But there are other game types than RPGs. Maybe a RTS/TBS, or a shooter, or a stealth....

Anyway, back to "the topic":
I think I've settled on a new bit to convince people to read Bakker. After reading Game of Thrones, just the first book, I have decided upon a line of questions.
Do you read fantasy? (if the answer here is no, abandon ship for TSA, but perhaps consider Neuropath or DotD)
Do you like Game of Thrones? (Yes or no doesn't matter)
Why? (this is important, based on the response here determines whether I bother continuing)
Well, The Second Apocalypse is similar to GoT, though a bit darker and with more magic/creatures. The Darkness that Comes Before is the first book of the series, by R. Scott Bakker, and I always recommend it to people who enjoy GoT. You should check it out (and/or, if I know the person well enough: I've got an extra copy of it, I can lend it to you if you'd like).

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2014, 12:56:58 pm »
Oh gall. Lol.

So happy I found this thread again so I might stamp my commentary forever here.

Wilshire, your decision-tree reads like Jehovah's Witness 101 ;).

Yeah, I changed the joke since I told it last :P.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer