• 224 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2013, 01:21:24 pm »
per Wert, Bakker is on his top 100 SFF selling authors of all time.

With a whopping 145,000 sold!

That's with only US figures, not counting UK and Canada.

But seriously, someone should tell Overlook et al so the blurb at the top of TUC can say, "One of the top selling fantasy authors of all time!" --Wertzone

Not sure if this makes me feel more or less like a hipster. Is Bakker now "cool" because he's on this list, or has be already been cool and I just didn't know it?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »
Hmm. I would ask the Nonmen but they are erratic and do not return...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2013, 10:31:00 am »
no-cool

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2013, 05:57:53 pm »
When you sell space on your website to advertisments, how specific can you be? Like if you did Amazon, could you specify what books you'd like to advertise? Probably not :(

Wouldn't it be entertaining to sell space to Penguin Press, or whatever other publishing company sells Bakker's books, and advertise his books on this site? Then you could get paid to do what we are kind of already doing, which is disseminating Bakker's stuff. Everybody wins, Bakker gets more sales (at no cost to him) and Madness gets two nickles to rub together for being awesome and running this site.

... we might have already discussed this somewhere but i cant find it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:02:11 pm by Wilshire »

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2013, 12:32:30 am »
By becoming an amazon affiliate (which is easy enough) they give you link codes to whatever books you want to sell in particular (along with cute little graphic options for the link, if wanted). The codes can be just for a specific book. And obviously you can show several codes on one page. And a cut of any sales goes to the affiliate.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2013, 05:26:36 pm »
Interesting... I'll definitely look into it when I find some time.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Garet Jax

« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2013, 04:00:22 pm »
I talked with the manager of my local Bookmans about getting RSB on a main display for a couple months and she plainly told me that if I can donate enough books to keep a stock on the display shelf, she will keep him out there...  Anyone know the cheapest place to get a decent stock of Bakker books to donate?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2013, 04:34:17 pm »
What condition? I bet many can be found in good, but not new, condition for cheap all around the internet. What are you looking for(#, condition, price), and what is Bookmans?

edit.
I like half price books, they are a used books store, and they've got a decent site. The link below has 16 copies of TDTCB for $0.99 each. (not sure about shipping)
http://www.hpbmarketplace.com/The-Darkness-That-Comes-Before-R-Scott-Bakker/book/8033202?qsort=p&matches=203&cm_sp=works*listing*buyused

Edit. Edit.
I like this site as well. Its a bit search engine that looks through a bunch of sites and compares prices for you. Saves time when buying text books, but i'm sure it can be used to any book. Here is the search result for  R. Scott Bakker:
http://booksprice.com/compare.do?inputData=R+Scott+Bakker&Submit2.x=-896&Submit2.y=-421&Submit2=Search&searchType=theAuthorName
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:58:33 pm by Wilshire »

Garet Jax

« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2013, 04:48:11 pm »
What condition? I bet many can be found in good, but not new, condition for cheap all around the internet. What are you looking for(#, condition, price), and what is Bookmans?

edit.
I like half price books, they are a used books store, and they've got a decent site. The link below has 16 copies of TDTCB for $0.99 each. (not sure about shipping)
http://www.hpbmarketplace.com/The-Darkness-That-Comes-Before-R-Scott-Bakker/book/8033202?qsort=p&matches=203&cm_sp=works*listing*buyused

Edit. Edit.
I like this site as well. Its a bit search engine that looks through a bunch of sites and compares prices for you. Saves time when buying text books, but i'm sure it can be used to any book. Here is the search result for  R. Scott Bakker:
http://booksprice.com/compare.do?inputData=R+Scott+Bakker&Submit2.x=-896&Submit2.y=-421&Submit2=Search&searchType=theAuthorName

The best condition possible, but pretty much any condition works.  If it is in bad condition, it goes for a cheaper price.  I honestly wanted to provide 5 or 6 copies of each book if possible with a funding ceiling of $100 to get started.

Bookmans is a self proclaimed entertainment exchange that is a local "chain" with about 6 locations throughout Arizona.  I actually live around the corner from one, and a couple miles from half priced books as well.

http://www.bookmans.com/about-us

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2013, 05:02:01 pm »
I'd be willing to help out. Like ordering some and sending them your way or some such. Let me know.

edit
Anyway, if you look at the second link, you can find 5 or 6 of each book for around 5 each (including shipping). Though there are 5 books, which will max out your budget at $4 a piece so you'll have to look around, but its a place to start.

Also, amazon might have a couple.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:07:12 pm by Wilshire »

Garet Jax

« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2013, 05:07:10 pm »
Sounds good.  I will probably make the first donation in full, and then need help (hopefully) keeping them stocked enough to continue his display.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2013, 05:50:21 pm »
Probably best to start a link like Bakker's paypal e-karma.

I'd definitely be down to pitch in.

Lmao, anyone interested in starting a Publishing House? 'Cause this is how it begins ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »
Oh yeah sure a publishing house. My degree in chemical engineering and my 3 months experience in consulting will help out tremendously.  8)
Guess we could start some crowd source funding project to help us start out. How much would that cost lol?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2013, 07:24:19 pm »
Well, ideally, we sign some kind of contract that protects us as investors. We can't profit from our facilitating Bakker's book sales (and ultimately doing the publisher's job for them) but using the same crowd-sourced investors as a publishing firm would be interesting. We'd have to volunteer our time to various jobs, etc, work with a small number of clients.

;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Garet Jax

« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2013, 01:05:16 am »
Can I turn this topic around (if it hasn't been done before)?  Who introduced you to the Bakkerverse?

My father was the one that delivered the above mentioned favor.  He recommended the book to me under the pretense that it was "dark" enough to pique my interest.