Miscellaneous Chatter > Philosophy & Science

Is Penrose wrong about Strong AI?

<< < (2/3) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 ---If I understand Penrose's argument neither multiple processors nor a quantum computer will suffice to bridge the gap.

Note that another mathematician said he found multiple problems with Penrose's reasoning but concluded Penrose was still, essentially, correct in his assertion. There's possibly some other issues with how the brain works that may not be replicable via AI algorithms, but this is something I've only seen a cursory summary of.

It gets to a point where it's hard to follow these guys.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---I guess I'd go back and question whether people actually 'apprehend paradox', either? Ie, what does this apprehending actually do? What's the next step this apprehending leads to?

It doesn't seem to go anywhere - so how is paradox apprehended? It does not seem to be understood at all - just people saying 'paradox', folding their arms and nodding sagely?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 ---Here's some more info on the controversy:

http://www.quantum-mind.co.uk/mathematics-logic-and-godel-c334.html

As with all things, take it with a grain of salt. (I use the same salt shaker for Dennet.)
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 ---An interview with Penrose. He actually elucidates things rather well here:

http://simplycharly.com/godel/roger_penrose_godel_interview.html
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Ser Scot A Ellison ---Sciborg,

I'm going to read your links later.  I think it comes done to whether you believe "conciousness" exists or not.  In my opinion a materialist would have to assert that "conciousness" is nothing special that it is mearly a byproduct of something being alive, the ability to percive the fact that you are alive.  Otherwise, if conciousness is something unique to humans (at least of Earthbound species) then it is something special that truely does set us apart.

That said if other species posess conciousness I don't know if that means materialists are right and we are limited to this meat we inhabit.  ;)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version