What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:15 am »
Quote from: Madness
Four Revelations.

Don't think there's anything that Wutteat says that suggest he was Voidborn like the Ark might be.

I think you're getting caught on a couple things, Wilshire.

Transformers suggests that a being can be somehow biomechanical? The products of the Tekne are biological, we've yet to see anything that indicates that Technology extents to tech as we recognize it, excepting the las-guns of Cuno-Inchoroi wars - (heron spear).

I definitely think that those are the only ways a fantasy character can digest seeing a dragon. Use terms they know to describe how crazy hard and big this thing is.

Its pretty clear from Bakker's quote above that Wutteat is not like all Dragons but all Wracu are like Wutteat, right?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:23 am »
Quote from: WillemB
I just figured the description was a nice turn of poetizing by RSB, kind of like how Smaug is described in the Hobbit:

Quote from: Grandpa Tolkien
Now I am old and strong. My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death! I am armored above and below with iron scales and hard gems. No blade can pierce me.

Of course, the word "like" is pretty important in parsing the self-description.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:29 am »
Quote from: Duskweaver
I'll just point out that there's no conflict between being made partly of metal and being a biological lifeform. Our own bones are about three-quarters calcium phosphate (calcium is a metal); our blood obviously contains a lot of iron as haem, etc. There's no reason, in principle, why a completely biological organism couldn't evolve to have metal scales or whatever.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:36 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
WP, english small edition softcover, pg 3:

Describing the fire:
"Cries of dismay and horror rifled the air, then a cataract of boiling gold engulfed Nautzera and the High King's attendants" ... "bodies tumbled like coals from a kicked fire"

Description of Skafra (Wracu):
"Great stamping limbs and gnashing of iron teeth. A cry from furnace lungs, as deeep as an ocean's moan and as piercing as an infant's shriek."

JE, english hardcover first edition, pg396:
"There, a cage of a different kind, large enough to shell a seafaring galley. Great ribs rise from the stone like a portcullis grill, curve up to meet their counterparts in a kiss of bowed spears."
"She sees a jawed carapace yards away, as though carried on a different current, submerged and tilted, yet standing as tall as a man, an empty eye socket just clearing the petrified stone"

WLW, english hardcover first edition various pages:
"FOOL. I AM THE FIRST. MY HIDE IS BRONZE. MY BONES ARE IRON!" pg556
(question: pg 557 Cleric calls Wutteat "Wracu'jaroi"... any ideas?)

Also relevant "I EXCEED MY MAKERS." the scale-shining beast thundered. "NOT EVEN THE BLACK HEAVEN COMMANDS ME!"
it would seem that he was indeed made my something, but I'd hazard that he is not refering to the Inchoroi.

I'd suggest moving several of these posts to the Wracu threads elsewhere, since we are rather off topic.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:43 am »
Quote from: Triskele
One of the very first lines of the whole story refers to Ishual and says something like "no furnace-hearted dragon had torn down its walls..."

I don't have the quote in front of me, but it's something like that with "furnace" included.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:54 am »
Quote from: Triskele
One of the very first lines of the whole story refers to Ishual and says something like "no furnace-hearted dragon had torn down its walls..."

I don't have the quote in front of me, but it's something like that with "furnace" included.
you where damn close.

TDTCB usa paperback page 1:
"No furnace-hearted dragon had pulled down its mighty gates."

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:59 am »
Quote from: lockesnow
foreshadowing about the furnace hearted dragon that pulled down its mighty gates after Kellhus left?

I have to admit I was wrong about them being all mechanical, thanks for the quotes of the descriptions.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:04 am »
Quote from: lockesnow
foreshadowing about the furnace hearted dragon that pulled down its mighty gates after Kellhus left?

Setting up the foreshadowing from sentence 3 of the first book to chapter 1 of book 6 would be impressive. I like that possibility. It was something I don't think I thought of until this thread, and I think its entirely likely.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:10 am »
Quote from: Callan S.
Holy shit, it's Grimlock?

Quote from: Centurion
I was under the impression that Wutteat lost his eyes as part of the general decay which had rotted away a large part of his body already.  I think it is stated that Wutteat is so old that he should be dead, but the power which drives his body is too powerful to stop animating him even after he is "dead".  Have to go re-read that part now...
Can't remember if he still has a soul or if it just forces animation even as it's dead. If it has no soul, it's another philosophical proposition of being driven without one, the processes thereby.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:16 am »
Quote from: Curethan
He is sustained by the Hell that burns within him or something like that.
Perhaps he consumed 144k souls?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:22 am »
He is sustained by the Hell that burns within him or something like that.
Perhaps he consumed 144k souls?

Doesn't seem like nearly enough, but I suppose if you only count the ones he ate and not the ones he burned or curshed, it could be possible.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:27 am »
Ah here 'tis.

"He dies from the outside," Cleric said, "because Hell sustains him from within."

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:34 am »
Also on p5 of this thread ;).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:39 am »
Pfft.  I am legion.  And my thread memory extends 5 posts max.
(Unless it was a traumatic thread ofc)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:45 am »
Lmao :).

I remember...
I remember posting...