Earwa > General Earwa

Stuff To Blow Your Mind: Bonus: R. Scott Bakker, Consciousness & Consult

<< < (5/5)

Madness:

--- Quote from: TheCulminatingApe on October 04, 2017, 07:30:51 pm ---...

--- End quote ---

I love Pratchett. If MG were around he'd tell you that he annually watches/reads Hogfather to his daughter.

Aside, a lecture that profgrape linked to me regarding Bakker's references to Lawrence, AI, and System Zero - System Zero: What Kind of AI Have We Created?

H:
For posterity, what I managed to transcribe (very poorly) from the Podcast @54:00 in:

--- Quote ---Q: So it's worth mentioning, in all of this that modern neuroscience presumes that the gods do not exist, in your Second Apocalypse saga, the gods are real and sometimes do speak.  Can you provide an overview of how the gods function in a fictional universe where you put so much thought into the inner works of consciousness and philosophy?

A: Yeah, I mean, this is kind of embarrassingly simple ultimately.  The gods are the "Drive," the "heuristic module," the "sub-personal processes" that are constantly underwriting, sometimes undermining, to sometimes making possible, the workspace of conscious, which is the world, which is physical reality in my book.  The whole series is itself analogy, or allegory, for this ancient anthropomorization of the universe and the cosmos only as projected given a modern understanding of the way in which cognition works.  System two, which is reality, system one, which is all the sub-personal processes that are constantly impinging upon System two, with deliberative reality (our conscious experience) and we can crib a term from Lawrence, System Zero, which lies outside of that Inside/Outside.
--- End quote ---

Wilshire:
For posterity:
Q: So it's worth mentioning, in all of this that modern neurscience presumes that the gods do not exist, in your Second Apocalypse saga, the gods are real and sometimes do speak.  Can you provide an overview of how the gods function in a fictional universe where you put so much thought into the inner works of consciousness and philosophy?

A: Yeah, I mean, this is kind of embarrassingly simple ultimately.  The gods are the "Drive," the "heuristic module," the "sub-personal processes" that are constantly underwriting, sometimes undermining, to sometimes making possible, the workspace of conscious, which is the world, which is physical reality in my book.  The whole series is itself analogy, or allegory, for this ancient anthropomorization of the universe and the cosmos only as projected given a modern understanding of the way in which cognition works.  System two, which is reality, system one, which is all the sub-personal processes that are constantly impinging upon System two, with deliberative reality (our conscious experience) and we can crib a term from Lawrence, System Zero, which lies outside of that Inside/Outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version