What are you watching?

• 357 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2019, 02:41:13 am »
I've watched the first 2 episodes of Carnival Row ... first impressions are as follows, hoping someone can tell me it gets better ( lie to me if you have to ).

It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2019, 12:43:57 pm »
I've watched the first 2 episodes of Carnival Row ... first impressions are as follows, hoping someone can tell me it gets better ( lie to me if you have to ).

I think it gets a bit better, IIRC.  I actually think I might actually have fallen asleep myself in the first two or so episodes...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2019, 01:04:46 pm »

I think it gets a bit better, IIRC.  I actually think I might actually have fallen asleep myself in the first two or so episodes...
I've seen 3 (or 4..) episodes now and actually quite like it. So far I like the last episode I've seen the most (where they expound on what has happened at the mimosary). I'd stick with it at least until that part to give it a fair shot :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2019, 01:09:51 pm »

I've seen 3 (or 4..) episodes now and actually quite like it. So far I like the last episode I've seen the most (where they expound on what has happened at the mimosary). I'd stick with it at least until that part to give it a fair shot :)

Thank you, I'll finish it. Won't be the first show I started watching and was like, eh? But got really good thereafter ( Breaking Bad, The Americans, Altered Carbon, Counterpart - all were at risk of me jumping ship prematurely ).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:12:07 pm by TaoHorror »

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2019, 06:48:26 pm »
Lots of stuff on DC Universe - Titans, Young Justice, Batman vs Dracula

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2019, 02:23:57 pm »
Mr. Robot has been pretty good this season so far.  Also, His Dark Materials has also been a good new show, now 2 episodes in.  I've never read the books though, so I can't compare.

The Watchmen TV show has also been quite good.  At first I was figuring I wouldn't care, since these were new characters, but in actuality, the show is well done and quite interesting in it's own right, plus there seems to be tons of nods to be movie and the comic books.  I'd recommend it, but only if you already saw the movie first.

Also, we checked out the show Dickinson which is on AppleTV+, or whatever they are calling the service.  First, let's start with the good.  The set designs and costumes are top notch.  However, everything that isn't an inanimate object though, unfortunately, is horrendous.  As far as my wife and I could tell, the premise of the show is: "Everyone knows that Emily Dickinson wasn't Dariah, but what this show presupposes is, maybe she was?"  I could go on about the discongruity between all sorts of modern music and notions just don't seem to "work" in the show, but it's wasted breath.  Even the half hour of episode one had me checking how much was left to bear multiple times.

If this the what Apple will be pushing out, I don't expect them to be around long.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2019, 02:49:21 pm »
Joker.

is the best movie ever made.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2019, 02:01:24 am »
Joker.

I'm very lenient on what i let my children watch...i don't put a good over their eyes, so to speak. That being said, would it be ok for a 8 year old?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2019, 08:26:58 am »
Joker.

I'm very lenient on what i let my children watch...i don't put a good over their eyes, so to speak. That being said, would it be ok for a 8 year old?
The ideas and 'moral' of the story are a bit advanced. It's not funny in an 8 y.o. way and there's 2/3 scenes of gory violence. I'd not recommend this for 8 y.o.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2019, 12:38:03 am »
Joker.

Short answer: No.

Long answer:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And even if we ignore the violence, sexual stuff etc... It would probably be boring for a 8 year old.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2019, 11:11:04 pm »
The Watchmen TV show has also been quite good.  At first I was figuring I wouldn't care, since these were new characters, but in actuality, the show is well done and quite interesting in it's own right, plus there seems to be tons of nods to be movie and the comic books.  I'd recommend it, but only if you already saw the movie first.

+1 ... I do my best to go into something with no expectations, but fail frequently ( reminds me of an enlightenment precept to be without thought ... I digress ) and thought I would be let down. Not at all - this thing has legs. It's weird comic-booky is best I can explain it, but stays true to the comic/movie atmospheric contrast of pop music/imagery and violence - some is kick you in the gut kind of stuff, you'all will dig it being fans of PON. The lead Sister Night is awesome - always like the actor playing her, but she shines in this thing and tickles me when she, "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!", the indignation of it comes through. Kinda a spoiler as this part I'm about to talk about is in the current episode 7 ( show ain't over yet ), but nothing earth shattering, but I'll put it in spoilers anyways for any who might care. So far so good, I love the show and has a mystery going on that's on it's surface looks simple, but underneath it's getting really cool.

(click to show/hide)

I'm purposely not reading the Joker discussion as I've not seen it - my oldest son screwed me over, we were supposed to go see it together and he ditched me to go see it with his friends - so now looking like I'll be waiting for it on demand, sigh ... looks good.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2019, 01:55:08 am »
Watching Nightflyers, not as bad as the criticisms (IMO ofc) but it does seem this could easily have been a movie or 3-4 ep special than 10 episodes.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2019, 08:26:17 pm »
I finished 2nd season of Succession. Eh, it's ok - fun to watch, but a bit simple. You might dig it if you like callous rich people speak. Has a few clever moments, the acting is pretty good. Just not an original ( enough ) story.

Sci - Nightflyers any good or what?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2019, 08:53:15 pm »
I'm sure I bore you'all with me liking everything, but really, you have to watch Watchmen. It is focking cool, man! The director is being a dick saying some bullshit like that's all he has to say about Watchmen ( meaning he's not going to do another season ), but fuck I want to see more. It does "end", so from a story perspective, you're not left on a cliff ( much ), but this deserves more episodes. Plenty of humor in this and I love how all of the weird shit eventually gets explained. Very clever deft touch bringing back Rorschach without bringing back Rorschach ( there's a new character whose just like him ). Even if you don't like comic books or movies/shows, it's so well done I think you would dig it anyways.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 25, 2019, 07:34:08 pm »
So I started watching Evil, a prime time show on a major network. I know, I know, it's major network television, so it's likely shit. Well, hmm ... it has elements that make it shit and some that make it much more. I've pretty much given up on major network tv, but this one caught my fancy and giving it a shot. So, yes, the mechanism is shit ( no depth or breath, goes too quickly, fly by television that you get with major market products ), but there's some pretty cool stuff with this and I'm hoping it catches on that some of the writing is actually quite good and they transition to modern episodic medium, but a girl can dream, right?

First, there's a serious look at reconciling pop-metaphysics with god, like ( paraphrasing the show ), "the problem with miracles isn't that they happen, but that they only happen to some and not others" - some Camu going on with this here, kinda cool. And there are some genuinely funny bad characters ( funny ha ha, not funny stupid ). So I'm hoping they continue and make it a deep dive sussing out how any miracles/possessions can happen to "some" and yet God is fair/good. Since it moves so fast, these unfortunately just flash by the viewer. I'm only on the 3rd episode, so maybe it'll get it's sea legs and be something more than just potato chip tv.

Bonus points for the bad guy, he's great and I love the actor, Michael Emerson - that man was born to be an asshole and I love him for it. He's doing some very cool temptation logic on the Priest-in-training lead who is very good in this. I'm not a fan of the other lead, Katja Herbers, but she's doing ok so far.

Anyways, I've laughed a few times ( with the show, not at it ) and there's something to work with, so I'll keep watching it and let you know if it devolves into full on crap or we get somewhere.