• View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:56 am »
Quote from: SATXZ
Quote from: Madness
Lmao :).

I remember...
I remember posting...
Thank you so much, I choked on my smoke.

I found the dragon/akka/nonman king fight scene a revelation the first time I read it.  Right there wutteat says, " yeah we fly thru the galaxy killing planets for our souls redemption. "  that's right, Bakker just threw some scifi up in this biotch!
I also love how akka tries to make a deal instead of fighting, but the father of dragons just leads him on.  I thought to myself, he's an immortal of mighty power, and he's a total Dick too.

Another thing about the dragon I did not see mentioned.  During the fight akka its surprised when the dragon aims directly at him, thinking the dragon blind, then wutteat says he's been blind for 10,000 years.  So...another revelation.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 12:54:03 am »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, no worries, SATXZ - I realize you've been lurking but welcome to the fray ;).

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2013, 01:09:13 pm »
Quote from: SATXZ
Another thing about the dragon I did not see mentioned.  During the fight akka its surprised when the dragon aims directly at him, thinking the dragon blind, then wutteat says he's been blind for 10,000 years.  So...another revelation.

Makes me wonder if extra-visual perceptions are a universal result of blindness...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2014, 12:59:36 pm »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2014, 12:06:31 am »
What's that? Optimus Prime is riding Wutteat, Father of Dragons?

I wonder if you put subtitles on they ARE IN THE APPROPRIATE FORMAT.

Francis Buck

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:47 am »
The Mighty All-Caps Dragon would accept nothing less.

ETA: I don't know that I'll even see TF4 -- though I somehow wind up watching every one of them (the only one I thought was even remotely passable was the first, and I genuinely consider the second flick to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen)  -- but I must admit to being morbidly curious to see what absurd explanation they come up with for fucking DINOSAUR TRANSFORMERS. I just...it makes absolutely no sense given the (admittedly awful) universe they've established so far in the movies. I can't even think of a way to do it that isn't ridiculously stupid.

But alas, in the end, a giant robot with a sword riding a giant robot tyrannosaurus rex is just inherently bad-ass, so I suppose that's why I keep seeing these damn things).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:20:18 am by Francis Buck »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2014, 04:47:14 pm »
You must have been to old ;). Its gen 1 transformers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Beast_Wars

Granted, its not like they are trying to follow canon super closely or anything, and I'm also not really a big enough 'fan' to care either way. Its giant robot fights and slow-mo female underwear models running from them, its not like the plot is a main selling point.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:41:23 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2014, 10:10:28 am »
Lol.

What's that? Optimus Prime is riding Wutteat, Father of Dragons?

I wonder if you put subtitles on they ARE IN THE APPROPRIATE FORMAT.
The Mighty All-Caps Dragon would accept nothing less.

Lol - indeed.

ETA: I don't know that I'll even see TF4 -- though I somehow wind up watching every one of them (the only one I thought was even remotely passable was the first, and I genuinely consider the second flick to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen)  -- but I must admit to being morbidly curious to see what absurd explanation they come up with for fucking DINOSAUR TRANSFORMERS. I just...it makes absolutely no sense given the (admittedly awful) universe they've established so far in the movies. I can't even think of a way to do it that isn't ridiculously stupid.

But alas, in the end, a giant robot with a sword riding a giant robot tyrannosaurus rex is just inherently bad-ass, so I suppose that's why I keep seeing these damn things).

What are you going to do, FB? Not subject your eyeballs to that?

You must have been to old ;). Its gen 1 transformers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Beast_Wars

Granted, its not like they are trying to follow canon super closely or anything, and I'm also not really a big enough 'fan' to care either way. Its giant robot fights and slow-mo female underwear models running from them, its not like the plot is a main selling point.

Beast Wars was great. Until it got ridiculous.

+1 the commentary. And people don't think that it is concerted manipulation for your attention? To be honest, in some of the readings I've done it seems that movie executives really are or are portrayed as not even giving a thought to attracting girl viewers, if there isn't a guy with them in the theater.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:14:04 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2014, 02:06:56 pm »

+1 the commentary. And people don't think that it is concerted manipulation for your attention? To be honest, in some of the readings I've done it seems that movie executives really are or are portrayed as not even giving a thought to attracting girl viewers, if there isn't a guy with them in the theater.

Probably just an old hold-over from the past. Sooner or later everyone realizes that there is more profit to be made. I hear almost half of all 'gamers' are female, and even still developers are slow to appeal to the other side.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:33 pm »
Probably just an old hold-over from the past. Sooner or later everyone realizes that there is more profit to be made. I hear almost half of all 'gamers' are female, and even still developers are slow to appeal to the other side.

+1. Good grief.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:28 pm »
That conversation between Akka and Wutteat--my first reaction was to assume everything Wutteat said was a lie, a consult set up, Wutteat is still bound to NG, just says he isn't because…I don't know, it will make Akka think it's not a set up.  There was all that ominous foreshadowing about the map's seal, something like "doom if you find me broken" and then Akka finds it broken in the rubble.

Was the container broken and none where the wiser?  Did Wutteat know and tell the consult?  Did Wutteat know and not tell the Consult?  Did the Dunyain break it ages ago and it's part of their long con?  If the map is a Dunyain plant, does that mean the whole of Ishual is a Dunyain front--as several others have said, they are really in Ishterbinth, Athrithau, the Ark, elsewhere entirely?

If the dragon is telling the truth, then the impression I had was that something exceptional had happened just to Wutteat between the first apocalypse and the conversation with Akka.  I have no idea what it would be.

The whole thing about chorae and dragons, I don't know, would there be a physical space limit for a single chorae?  A dragon would need a lot of them to be fully protected, this might put a strain on the chorae reserve?  No that doesn't sound likely, you would want those things protected if you could.

That Wutteat runs on sorcery seems odd to me since he seems to predate the Inchoroi's discovery of sorcery.  BUT maybe something special has happened to him.

Lovely fine and thin crackpot theory: Wutteat is a skinspy to the original inhabitents of some other planet.

And what's up with the Inchoroi's physical forms?  Two hands, two legs, single penis, head up top on a neck, torso.  Is all that human-like body stuff just playing to a convention or are the Inchoroi former nonmen come home, former humans, or what Earthlings will become?

(click to show/hide)

How many Inchoroi does it take to screw in a light bulb?

1,000,002.  A billion to rape and murder countless worlds and 2 to summon the No-God extinguishing the need for light for eternity.

Will Wutteat's blindness give him any cool powers like the Cishaurim?

I like what Borric said about the NG, makes me think the saccophagus is perhaps a chorae cage more than anything else.  What would happen if you put a sorcerer in extreme and extremely anguishing proximity to chorae, but never so close that he/she died?  They could salt at a level that could be perpetuated indefinitely and the clash between the sorcery and chorae might do something neat?

Oooohhhh, what if the Consult discovered the psukhe ages ago?  That would explain why skinspies can see seswatha within…but they don't have souls…wait, how do we know they don't?  Is the evidence reliable?  Psukhe charged, ensouled skinpies wandering around thwarting everyone with layers of deception!  The skinspy-mandate guy was only skinspy with a *damned* soul.  Lordy, they got that poor dude to damn himself for their purposes!  I suppose the Mandate do the same.  Damn, whoever thought up the psukhe first is going to win because it might be the invisible hand operative all along.

This is all so random, hardly any of this goes here.  I will stop rambling now.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2014, 11:37:32 pm »
The Father of Dragons - Wutteat:
Wutteat was the Wracu Template, like the Nonmen are to Sranc. Wutteat is a Wracu as much as Nil'Giccas is a sranc (so not really at all). He seems like a trustworthy fellow, I trust what he has to say, or at least that he believes what he says.

I haven't read the section in some time, but there was obviously some kind of metaphysical connection between Wutteat and the Outside. I'm not sure what to call it, but I wouldn't classify it as "sorcery".

It seemed to me that the Consult had only a tentative hold on Wutteat, more like his goals and theirs seemed to coincide. More of a mutually beneficial arrangement than captor/captive, like the Nonmen and the Inchoroi before the Womb Plague.

Not sure what you mean by chorae/dragon thing.

Inchoroi's physical form:
Seems rather convenient that they are 'humanoid' to some degree. I agree that it could either be convention or have some kind of sci-fi element tie in. I think we'll see more of this kind of thing as the series continues.

Ishual's Map:
I seriously doubt that the map simply broke open during the fight. Its just too lame of an explanation. Somethings definitely up, but I don't know what or how long ago it was placed.

Light bulbs:
1,000,002 is one million and two ;)

Blindness:
Seems to always be tied to special properties. Not everyone that is blind is a Cishaurim but most that are blind seem to be important.

Psuke:
The Inchoroi seem to only have a tentative grasp of magic. They seemed to want to destroy the Cisharum as much as the SS or the Inrithi. Remember that they had skin-spies advising nearly every major power to join the war. Skeaos and Cepherumuni at least were discovered, two of the most powerful 2nd in command men in the Three-Seas.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2014, 12:03:13 am »
Going so far overboard I missed by 900,000!
Over 9000!