mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2014, 12:10:35 am »
If I'm going to get this right, I'm going to need a lot more fingers.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2014, 07:05:24 pm »
3 random wracu thoughts:

1) Would be awesome to see a Kellhus/Dragon conversation/battle.  Would be neat also if there is an atrocity tale set 10 years before the fall of Sakarpus where Kellhus is off plundering a derelict nonman mansion and meets an old dragon.

2) IF Moe is able to 'rewrite' skin spies, think of what the dunyain could do with a dragon!  Is that one of the things down in the 1000 1000 halls?  A dragon, reconditioned over centuries?

3) Thinking about synthese--I hope Kellhus has figured out how the Consult do this and one ups them.  A goddamn wracu body with the head of the aspect emperor! ... or it just looks like a dragon but it is kellhus' 'synthese'

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2014, 09:31:01 pm »
1) +1.
2) ... Cool, but probably not.
3) Tekne: Anything the Consult can do, Dunyain can do better.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2014, 02:11:43 pm »
In a scene near the beginning of TWP we get a continuation of the Celmomian prophecy Dream. I believe there are 3 dragons that fly in right after the King dies, and only 1 is killed. The others run off wounded. There should be a few Wracu in TUC as they were not all destroyed.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2014, 04:18:57 pm »
In a scene near the beginning of TWP we get a continuation of the Celmomian prophecy Dream. I believe there are 3 dragons that fly in right after the King dies, and only 1 is killed. The others run off wounded. There should be a few Wracu in TUC as they were not all destroyed.

Plus new dragons!  Dragon/Bashrag combos: each tail, three fused tails, vestigial faces all over it.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2014, 04:34:53 am »
Let's say Kellhus comes across a massive dragon corpse and reanimates it with ciphrang.  Voila!  The undead Wutteat!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2015, 12:33:47 pm »
Ghoset - ?
Skafra, Tyrant of Cloud and Mountain - Killed by Seswatha at Mengedda in 2155.
Skogma - "thought destroyed during the Cûno-Inchoroi Wars."
Skuthula, the Black - "one of the few Dragons known to have survived the Apocalypse."
Tanhafut, the Red - Killed by Nau-Cayûti at the Battle of Ossirish.
Wutteät, the Black, the Terrible, the Black-and-Golden, Father of Dragons - Still alive, somewhere near Sauglish.

I believe this is a list of all the Wracu we know of.  Only Ghoset's fate is completely unknown.  Which dragon is dead at the bottom of the Black Halls is a mystery though.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:42:39 pm by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2015, 12:50:00 pm »
Great list. I don't think we had that anywhere here yet. Thanks.

Francis Buck

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2015, 02:11:07 am »
Yeah that's interesting to see laid out. Weren't we lead to believe Wutteät was dead before WLW came out? I know there's the story about Ciogli breaking its neck -- which after discovering that Wutteat is still "alive", seems even more like a history-embellished legend. I'm wondering if the text ever explicitly said the dragon was dead, or simply defeated. Either way I assume his weird undead state is unique to him, since otherwise there shouldn't be any stories of dragons dying, embellished or not (Nau-Cayuti at least seems to have definitely killed Tahnhafut, since otherwise the tale doesn't really warrant the attention it gets if he just like, beat the thing up until it flew away).

It's also weird that so far, Wutteät is our only example of something being "undead" in the particular way that he is. All the other life we've seen is either ensouled (which includes Ciphrang and denizens of the Outside), or an automaton. The idea that he can only die when the World ends (which I assume is synonymous with "closing the gates to the Outside") is so different from anything else we are familiar with. It's not even really something that the audience could have  guessed was possible given what we know of the metaphysics so far, so I'm curious how important that little detail is and whether we'll actually have it explained, or if it's just meant to be a bit of colorful window-dressing (and an excuse to have another truly ancient character aside from just the Inchoroi brothers, who are otherwise the only POV's to have firsthand accounts of prehistory).

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2015, 10:26:42 am »
I certainly thought that Wutteät was dead prior to WLW.  However, a human could survive a broken neck, it really isn't so crazy to think a Wracu could too.  It is almost certain that Nau killed Tahnhafut, because he gains the moniker "Dragonslayer."  I think it is fairly certain that Seswatha did killed Skafra.  They had to have done massive amounts more damage then just a broken neck though.

Wracu's 'undead' state might be unique to Wutteät, but I don't think the evidence precludes that a similar state might effect decedent dragons as well.  There is a fair chance that the two dragons we know to be killed were actually destroyed by the Heron Spear though.  I don't know that anything short of probable complete dismemberment/discorporation would actually kill a Wracu.  Keep in mind that it is said that Skuthula was "grievously wounded" at Mengedda, yet the Glossary says he is known to survive the Apocalypse.  We simply don't have much to go on.  The answer to the mystery would be to know which one/what killed the Wracu that ended up dead in the Black Halls though.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2015, 11:55:22 pm »
Ghoset - ?
Skafra, Tyrant of Cloud and Mountain - Killed by Seswatha at Mengedda in 2155.
Skogma - "thought destroyed during the Cûno-Inchoroi Wars."
Skuthula, the Black - "one of the few Dragons known to have survived the Apocalypse."
Tanhafut, the Red - Killed by Nau-Cayûti at the Battle of Ossirish.
Wutteät, the Black, Father of Dragons - Still alive, somewhere near Sauglish.

I believe this is a list of all the Wracu we know of.  Only Ghoset's fate is completely unknown.  Which dragon is dead at the bottom of the Black Halls is a mystery though.

awesome list!  thanks!  :)

whatever dragons survived, they have to be the source of some revelation in TUC, tell the reader something unknown about Seswatha or Celmomas or Cujara Cinmoi

the way Skafra prattles on about Mog the god, i wonder if Kellhus can flip some loyalties with a big enough display of power?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2015, 07:23:56 pm »
Per a comment on one of MGs facebook things, Wutteat is refered to as the black and gold at some point.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2015, 07:49:53 pm »
Per a comment on one of MGs facebook things, Wutteat is refered to as the black and gold at some point.

You're right.  I think, however, he is not really gold, per se, but the way his shiny bronze scales would look in natural light makes him look as if he was ensconced in gold.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2015, 11:08:47 pm »
uh, i don't know if this has been done before, but the chorae/dragon problem ...

reasons why the Consults don't put chorae on wracu
1. there are a limited number of chorae
2. dragonhide is naturally so tough that even sorcery is unlikely to have much effect
3. dragons are so big/oddly composed that it would take many chorae to cover the whole thing (it took 3 for Uminyaki)

further, if all dragons have the fire of hell within, then a chorae would irritate/hamper the dragon while not salting it because of the thick hide

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:56 am »
reasons why the Consults don't put chorae on wracu
Dunno if it would help, but I remembr something about bashrag were designed to counter ishroi skills and wracu (as mass-production) are the same agains quya.