Transforming the World Into Experience: An Idealist Experiment.

• 2 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« on: October 20, 2018, 11:17:34 pm »
Digging into metaphysics that can explain the Bakkerverse, Marshall's Monadology seems to give us an Idealism (God Dreams) that would also explain why the Progenitors mastered the seeming atomic/physical reality before gaining a hint of their eternal fate.

Transforming the World Into Experience: An Idealist Experiment.

by Paul Marshall

In summary, I pursue an idealist rehabilitation of the external world through the following stages.

Set up a world of objects external to perceptual experience (representative realism).

Make the external world purely physical (dualist representative realism).

Observe that causal relations between the physical external world and conscious
    states are problematic (mind–body problem).

Defuse the problem by transforming the physical external world into an experiential
    external world (experiential realism).

Accommodate modern physics in the account by organizing external experience from
    a multiplicity of centres (panpsychic experiential realism).

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 08:54:28 pm »
Accommodate modern physics in the account by organizing external experience from
ParsingError detected; sentence skipped.

Anyway I think what must have happened is that things are actually not that dualistic. Remember that a daimotic sorcerer can literally walk into the Outside and interact with beings there. Similarly, the progenitors must've been able to use technology to glimpse into/measure Outside related things, one of such things being the Inverse Fire.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:17:29 am »
ParsingError detected; sentence skipped.

Anyway I think what must have happened is that things are actually not that dualistic. Remember that a daimotic sorcerer can literally walk into the Outside and interact with beings there. Similarly, the progenitors must've been able to use technology to glimpse into/measure Outside related things, one of such things being the Inverse Fire.

I agree that Bakkerverse is not dualistic at its core, at least not on the modern Mind/Matter distinction. And Bakker did say reality is like a Bicameral Mind, with the Left/Rational/Conscious being the Inside and the Right/Irrational/Unconscious being the Outside.

I think Idealism, specifically some variation on Leibniz's Monadology explains a good bit of the textual hints, as it provides for both the atomic reductionist success of the Progenitors as well all the mystical "God dreams" stuff people in Earwa talk about.

Basically me and .H. have been thinking that in the metaphysical scheme of the Bakkerverse there has to be a way to learn about the soul + damnation using scientific investigation but the level of advancement seems to require you end up going well past the Singularity, hit the Semantic Apocalypse, then realize you dun goofed.