• 30 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 04:01:31 pm »
Thanks for sharing out post but I still disagree with you.. Germany has made best use of solar technology and nearly solved its power problem.
Not sure what that means. America doesn't really have a power problem either, as America is the OPEC of coal.

Like I said, I've not done the research for Germany, but I sincerely doubt they solved their power problem with just solar technology. There just isn't enough surface area in a country that far north of the equator to supply a meaningful amount of power. If they have solved their own energy problems, meaning that they are mostly carbon emission free, its due to a massive effort combining every known green solution, from solar to nuclear. I wish the USA cared more about recycling and green energy solutions :(

BTW here is a quick map. I googled "solar power efficiency", You'll see that Germany is very nearly one of the worst places on earth for a solar farm.
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/media/newsletters/echron/archives/2006/q2/images/solar_resourse_map.jpg

Find the annual energy usage of Germany, find the efficiency of a square meter of solar cell in Germany. Use that to calculate how many square kilometers would be needed. Now, subtract the total needed area from Germany's 350,000 square kilometers. If the number is negative, then that shows that if you covered every meter of surface (including farmland, rivers, and lakes), you still wouldn't generate enough power.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:07:55 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.