Earwa > General Earwa

On the Nature of the No-God

<< < (2/12) > >>

locke:
How could it be of Shae if it preexisting him given the litany of names.  Shae perhaps devised the capture of lokung, stripping him of everything but a base soul hunger Ala the wathi doll and devised the carapace to contain him.

Also, if he's a paradox the skin spies would be flummoxed.  Otoh, perhaps that's why they are flummoxed by the inverse fure, it's a paradox.

Would an inverse of fire be a vacuum?

H:

--- Quote from: locke on July 27, 2015, 07:06:55 pm ---How could it be of Shae if it preexisting him given the litany of names.  Shae perhaps devised the capture of lokung, stripping him of everything but a base soul hunger Ala the wathi doll and devised the carapace to contain him.

Also, if he's a paradox the skin spies would be flummoxed.  Otoh, perhaps that's why they are flummoxed by the inverse fure, it's a paradox.

Would an inverse of fire be a vacuum?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure what you mean, what evidence that those name predate the First Apocalypse.  Certainly the No-God didn't exist before the Second Investiture (2142), "In the spring of 2143 the No-God, summoned by means unknown, first drew breath."  Shae had been with them since prior to 1119 (a la, False Sun).  Indeed, perhaps the concept existed, but I don't see evidence that the No-God was anyhting more than an idea previous to this.

His very name implies something of a paradox though, as does the Inverse Fire.  No-God, so the inversion of a God?  A dead God, but is a God living?

I tend to think of the Inverse Fire as fire that does not consume.  Total crack-pot, but I fancy the Inverse Fire a power source.  A battery running on Damnation...

mrganondorf:
cool theory H!  i like it!  it seems that Inchoroi vs Earwa is roughly something like a scientific view vs a super-meaning packed religious view.  the Inchoroi, in creating Mog, are perhaps trying to force a reductionist view on the world?  once all of the souls are inside of/consumed by Mog, heaven and hell will disappear and magic too and the only world left will be like ours--mechanistic and physical?  the No-God will literally bring about the situation where there are no more gods and damnation is avoided because death is nothing more than physical dissolution? 

this would explain, perhaps, why so many Inchoroi risked their necks along the way--as long as they had supreme confidence that some of their numbers would eventually succeed in deflating the world, they could risk going to hell because it would only be for a limited time?

certainly the No-God is bound to cause mass renunciation at some point--the longer Mog walks, the less humans are disposed to call out to gods who do not or cannot help.  perhaps this is Kellhus' big secret, by being a god on earth and repeatedly predicting the threat of Mog, if Mog returns, belief in Kellhus spikes up

if the No-God is the pipe that is sucking up souls, the perhaps the Carapace is a trap for the Outside.  the Consult aim to drain the Outside into the Carapce and keeped it sealed there

i like the idea that the No-God is created by apostasy and it makes me wonder if that is at the root of the Inchoroi mission--some kind of fundamental rebellion against a long held religious belief in old Inchoroi culture?

i too had the impression that Mog lacked agency with the biggest issue of how the hell he/it/she/xe/xir moved the sranc forces in deliberate, strategic ways.

i don't know that i'd put too much stock in the "Angel of Endless Hunger" as it might describe the nonman view of Mog more than Mog itself

i wonder if the No-God being unable to see itself is like something from Neuropath, where a human is alive but loses its sense of self

H:

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on July 29, 2015, 08:27:43 pm ---i like the idea that the No-God is created by apostasy and it makes me wonder if that is at the root of the Inchoroi mission--some kind of fundamental rebellion against a long held religious belief in old Inchoroi culture?

i too had the impression that Mog lacked agency with the biggest issue of how the hell he/it/she/xe/xir moved the sranc forces in deliberate, strategic ways.

i don't know that i'd put too much stock in the "Angel of Endless Hunger" as it might describe the nonman view of Mog more than Mog itself

i wonder if the No-God being unable to see itself is like something from Neuropath, where a human is alive but loses its sense of self

--- End quote ---

It would stand to reason that the Inchoroi that we see are possibly outcasts from their own world/race.  It would make sense that their depravity had to, in some way, lead to their planet-roving ways.

We really have no direct evidence that the No-God ever actually strategically directs anything really.  In fact when the No-God's physical form presents itself: “The No-God was coming. Mog-Pharau walked, and the world thundered. The Sranc began shrieking. Many cast themselves to the ground, scratching at their eyes, gouging … I remember having difficulty breathing … I had joined Anakka—Anaxophus—in his chariot, and I remember him gripping my shoulders."

I would contend that the No-God doesn't control anything, he simply focuses the Soulless-Tekné-Things.  Makes them more directed, lest they be like the Sranc are in the present setting.  Strategy is not part of it, I think the No-God does nothing in controlling them besides, essentially, pointing them at Souled creatures (because they are the way in which it can feed it's hunger for Souls?).

On the name, "Angel of Endless Hunger" I disagree though.  If they named it an angel, which had an endless hunger, they must have experienced something that made it seem so.  What made it seem like an Angel and what seemed like "Endless Hunger?"  I think there is definitely something to that.

profgrape:

--- Quote from: H on July 30, 2015, 03:49:22 pm ---On the name, "Angel of Endless Hunger" I disagree though.  If they named it an angel, which had an endless hunger, they must have experienced something that made it seem so.  What made it seem like an Angel and what seemed like "Endless Hunger?"  I think there is definitely something to that.

--- End quote ---

Ok, bear with me, but...

...what if the No-God is Yatwer?  What if they summoned an "angel", and specifically, the goddess of birth, and imprisoned her in the Carapace?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version