General > Author Q&A

Whence the Inchoroi?

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Sharmat:
Yeah the "inchoroi are actually unrecognizably altered trans-humans" is one of my favorite crackpots.

--- Quote from: EkyannusIII on July 19, 2016, 03:45:45 pm ---My pet theory is that they are fleeing from someone else (another species of a non-depraved faction of their own race) who were trying to exterminate them. Their motives don't parse otherwise, since they are biologically immortal and had interstellar levels of tech, so they had no real reason to fear damnation unless someone was actively trying to end their lives. This will probably not pan out, but my crackpot is dear to my heart.

--- End quote ---
Biological immortality or not if you live long enough something is going to kill you. A few centuries or even millennia is nothing compared to eternal damnation.

Madness:

--- Quote from: The Sharmat on August 16, 2016, 06:42:38 pm ---
--- Quote from: EkyannusIII on July 19, 2016, 03:45:45 pm ---My pet theory is that they are fleeing from someone else (another species of a non-depraved faction of their own race) who were trying to exterminate them. Their motives don't parse otherwise, since they are biologically immortal and had interstellar levels of tech, so they had no real reason to fear damnation unless someone was actively trying to end their lives. This will probably not pan out, but my crackpot is dear to my heart.

--- End quote ---
Biological immortality or not if you live long enough something is going to kill you. A few centuries or even millennia is nothing compared to eternal damnation.

--- End quote ---

It would be an Honored Matres nod as well.

The Great Scald:
The Inchoroi seem to be exactly what they appear - a humanoid species who progressed technologically to the point where they could rewire their own neurology for maximum pleasure, at which point they turned themselves into a race of hedonist psychopaths. What happened in Bakker's book Neuropath, basically, but on a species-wide scale.

They're probably not human originally, just a species who had a similar technological progress and reached a "transhumanism" of their own. The Ark seems to be a part of the species' reproduction, "a dead womb" rather than just a vessel, so their reproductive cycle is like nothing human. Their slimy translucent skin and oyster-skulls actually suggest a deep-sea origin - very likely, the Inchoroi were already a developed society when they left their aquatic home and added the wings, mouths, phalluses, etc.

Bakker's buddy Peter Watts, that old marine-biologist, should really write a Spacedicks: The Origins spinoff story one day.

The Sharmat:
The wings could easily be augmented and hypertrophied fins, like flying fish. I'm pretty sure they're described as having gills as well.

Callan S.:

--- Quote ---You can't seal the World from the Outside when there is Someone in the Outside Who causes the World to exist in the first place
--- End quote ---

This is the outside that attributed the no god to somehow being the deeds of men?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version