[TGO SPOILERS] Koringhus' hundred stones?

• 19 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 02:03:44 am »
So to clarify FB, do you mean Kellhus has already absolved certain people from damnation or that is what he is working towards. Excuse me for not completely understanding what you meant.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:51:30 am by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 06:03:30 pm »
Quote from: Ciphrank
Monkhound - I didn't catch it the first time, but I fully agree that the repetition of "Cuts and cuts and cuts..." is not only a foreshadowing of the Cnaiur reveal at the end, but the entirety of the final Achamian/Mimara POV section is a cipher for understanding the nature of the God and how Damnation works in Earwa.

Not sure you got what I meant, but I accidentally opened the book on the correct passage about the Swazond I meant earlier. It's the passage where Serwë gets the young Kidruhil killed, before they join the Holy War. The italics are in the book:

Quote from: TDTCB softcover/pocket  p.458
With the knife, he cut a lateral line across her forearm. The pain was sharp and quick, but she bit her lip rather than cry out. "Swazond ," he said in harsh Scylvendi tones. "The man you have killed is gone from the world, Serwë. He exists only here, a scar upon your arm. It is the mark of his absence , if all the ways his soul will not move, and of all the acts he will not commit. A mark of the weight you now bear."

The scars/cuts seem like an embodiment of the Probability Trance, and by extension of TTT to me.
I know there are more passages in TPoN where Swazond are explained, but this requires more luck (or Search Fu).
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 06:52:23 pm »
The scars/cuts seem like an embodiment of the Probability Trance, and by extension of TTT to me.

More like the exact opposite of the PT then. The PT is purely a mental exercise using mundane means of algorithic data input and answer output.
Swazond would be an exercise of binding a soul, or its absences,  to one's self, which by definition is almost purely a metaphysical act. Closer to WLW than Dunyain, if you get what I'm saying.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 08:15:04 pm »
I understand what you mean, Wilshire. Though I've always read the PT as a "tree" of which the branches, twigs, etc. are the possible outcomes. The cuts are a way of trimming the possibilities to determine the Shortest Path.
Which is also why I find the speech of the Synthese to the Thing Called Soma about "respecting all the prophecies, even the false ones" (in the WLW) an interesting parallel.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 09:39:02 pm »
I understand what you mean, Wilshire. Though I've always read the PT as a "tree" of which the branches, twigs, etc. are the possible outcomes. The cuts are a way of trimming the possibilities to determine the Shortest Path.
Which is also why I find the speech of the Synthese to the Thing Called Soma about "respecting all the prophecies, even the false ones" (in the WLW) an interesting parallel.

I was thinking more like Wilshire, but this post here is brilliant. Cut and cuts and cuts.....trimming away the branches (possibilities), until he reached Zero (The Absolute). Excellent, Monkhound.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,