Zaudunyanicon Q&A

• 39 Replies

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »
Alas Madness, to not watch the symposium is not an option on the benjuka plate ... ever are men tempted by the forbidden . If it is given, it will be taken!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 03:33:33 am »
Lol. Such animals we are.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 07:08:35 am »
Does Maithanet have any children hidden in Summa?
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:36 am »
Will we meet Cnaiur's other children in the No-God?
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 12:13:10 pm »
Are souls conscious after their physical body dies? In other words, are the souls in the Hells actually aware that Ciphrang are torturing them? Or are they effectively p-zombies?

(This question was prompted by Warhammer 40K being brought up in another thread. In 40K, almost everyone is technically 'damned' - after death, their souls are ripped apart and devoured by daemons who feast on the soul's emotional content - but almost no human soul is strong-willed enough to actually retain any sense of self or anything we would call consciousness after death, so in a sense their soul's fate is irrelevant.)
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 07:21:13 pm »
How about this one,

Ask Bakker if he shelved some revelations/things to be revealed later because of the No-God series?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 12:17:47 pm »
Wilshire and I will be deliberating on what questions to put forth as we drive down to London to head back to my place and then the hotel.

If you have more questions, get them in thread sharpish!
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 12:35:57 am »
Ask him if he has any plans to license Earwa,  I need a 30 inch Golgotterath and some Nonman ishroi figurines. 
Can you Skype it, so some of us far away can listen in.

Nil Sertrax

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 02:43:34 am »
In response to my question regarding the lack of clarity in the writing, on July 28th, in this forum, Mr. Bakker stated;
That said, the only book I put more work into was TDTCB, so your sense of haste actually has no basis on the composition side. I actually went through and rewrote the ending for 'clarity's sake' no less than four times (!!) based on feedback from different beta readers, which is what makes your appraisal of the 'general reaction,' to be honest, hard to believe. The Amazon and blog reviews don't reflect it.

Given the reviews on Goodreads and Amazon I think it is becoming very apparent that lack of clarity and opacity is a common criticism of TUC.  Is there any chance that future installments in the series will see you try to strike a better balance between the poetic allusiveness of the prose and the clarity of the narrative? 

When did Ajokli first begin to possess Kellhus (and don't let him get away with telling you that Kellhus was always possessed because what comes after determines what comes before!)

And finally, can Mr. Bakker comment on his decision to keep the escape from Ishterebinth off-camera?  Given the cliff-hanger ending of this section in TGO, I think readers were expecting to see this narrative thread wrapped up in spectacular fashion.  It was frustrating that an opportunity for a spectacular large action set-piece was ignored.

Thanks for considering these questions.   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:49:24 am by Nil Sertrax »

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 07:21:56 pm »
Not sure if I'm too late, but should anyone get the chance I am curious if RSB might shed some light on the suite of characters from the opening of TDTCB, particularly the Bard with one blind eye. For example, is there anything we might glean from real world mythology in regards to the nature of that character in particular, or are is that part of the narrative/timeline going to be more or less left alone from here on out?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 04:14:16 pm »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Khaine

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 08:39:21 am »
Are souls conscious after their physical body dies? In other words, are the souls in the Hells actually aware that Ciphrang are torturing them? Or are they effectively p-zombies?

(This question was prompted by Warhammer 40K being brought up in another thread. In 40K, almost everyone is technically 'damned' - after death, their souls are ripped apart and devoured by daemons who feast on the soul's emotional content - but almost no human soul is strong-willed enough to actually retain any sense of self or anything we would call consciousness after death, so in a sense their soul's fate is irrelevant.)

I always thought Kellhus was an early version of the Holy Emprah and he was merely fighting the unification wars.

:-[

Knowing was the foundation of ignorance. To think that one *knew* was to become utterly blind to the unknown.

R. Scott Baker, The White Luck Warrior, chapter 12.

ἕν οἶδα, ὅτι οὐδέν οἶδα

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 09:23:03 am »
I always thought Kellhus was an early version of the Holy Emprah and he was merely fighting the unification wars.
There are quite a few points of thematic intersection between TSA and 40K. But then there are also some between TSA and the Elder Scrolls games, and of course between TSA and Tolkien. But who can truly fathom the Darkness of cultural and philosophical influences that comes before all fictional works?
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 12:04:58 pm »
There are quite a few points of thematic intersection between TSA and 40K. But then there are also some between TSA and the Elder Scrolls games, and of course between TSA and Tolkien. But who can truly fathom the Darkness of cultural and philosophical influences that comes before all fictional works?

It can't be a real influence if Bakker wasn't aware of whatever that thing is, but that doesn't mean one can't make the argument that there are similarities and parallels even though Bakker didn't put them there intentionally.

Not to say he is or isn't a 40k guy or any of the rest, I don't know, but whether the parallels are there and whether or not Bakker intended them to be are entirely separate questions in my mind. I often struggle when I don't separate those two ideas.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:09:11 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 03:19:39 pm »
I think the parallels we see in the text are worth just as much as whatever the author intended to put there.

There's also something neat in that Bakker's text can be so unintentional yet hit upon so many prevalent thematic and character archetypes within Humanity's Greater Mythos.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer