Earwa > The Thousandfold Thought

Ciphrang

(1/4) > >>

Borric:
Did I miss something here?

So Iyokus sends the paramount daemon to attack Akka at the ruins.
He gets the daemon to deliver a message just before the fight starts.
Stating, “an eye for an eye” (obviously that means he intends to take Akka’s eyes as Akka took his own?)

The next thing we know, the daemon has bested Akka and is flying away with him clutched in his grasp.
And then…………… nothing.

Akka wakes up on a beach, bruised and broken, but alive.

Err, why bother attacking him at all?
I don’t get it.

H:
It's almost impossible to know exactly what is going on there, the details are pretty scant.

If I had to 'ret con' it, I'd guess Akka blinds and cripples it.  Knowing it can't break his skin wards, it grabs him and tries to fly, maybe to drop him in the water to drown him?  Losing blood, it doesn't get far and drops him on the beach?

Wilshire:
I've read that book twice and somehow never noticed that. I thought Akka bested the demon which flew away before he passed out?

H:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on June 18, 2015, 12:23:37 pm ---I've read that book twice and somehow never noticed that. I thought Akka bested the demon which flew away before he passed out?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---But the thing was upon him, a raving nightmare, hammering and clawing, blows that cracked the stone about her, that brought blood to her nose. Wards buckled and fractured. Achamian called out great concussions and the demon’s head was battered. Horns snapped. Spider-eyes ruptured light.
Its assault became a frenzy, a jerking blur of violence, until it seemed hell itself tore and gnashed at his gates.
Achamian staggered, blinked white-burning eyes, cried out—
An instant of wasted voice.
Rats screamed through its exultant roar. Achamian falling, his mouth working. The closing of dragon claws …
Achamian falling.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---The Ciphrang had sailed drunken across the skies, shrieking at the pinch of the needle world. Hanging from its claws, Achamian glimpsed lines and blots that were warring men, and the smudge of a burning city. The thing’s blood trailed earthward, burning like naphtha.
The ground spiralled closer and closer …
He awoke scarcely alive, breathing dust he could not lick from his teeth. With the one eye he could open, he saw sand cupped about the base of waving reeds. He heard the sea—the Meneanor Sea—pounding nearby shores.
--- End quote ---

Wilshire:
Awesome, thanks for the passage. The end of the book is such a rush I must never have sat down and thought about this scene in particular.

It would appear they reach a stalemate of sorts. I assume "sailed drunken across the skies" means it was as close to passing out as Akka. I agree with H that it seems it wanted to drop him from some height to kill him, but ended up dropping before they managed to reach a substantial altitude.

Alternatively, maybe it was summoned back to Iyokus and left akka behind?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version