Earwa > The Thousandfold Thought

Favorite Scenes

(1/21) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Curethan ---When Cnaiur returns to his tribe after Kiyuth and I realised just how batshit Bakker's barbarians were. 
So awesome how Cnaiur's insanity is foreshadowed by him being the pinnacle of a maddeningly brutal culture.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Sideris ---In the early part of the book, far and away, Inrau's death. Tortured soul as he was, boy died like a fucking champ. One does not mess with Gnostic kung fu. :P

ANY scene with Conphas. He's a joy to read. Even though he's supremely young, I always, always picture James Purefoy's portrayal of Marc Antony from HBO's Rome. The smarm and cunning just fit the mold.

Yursalka's death, but for other reasons. Sure, I really like Cnaiur. Despite his insanity and utter brutality, he's one of the most compelling characters in the whole series. Hands down. However, Yursalka's death, man, that was hard. I understood his reasons and his horror. Despite the Scylvendi being what they are, Bakker did a fine job at making them people.

Cnaiur and Kellhus drawing up their cover stories. Here's Cnaiur beaten and bloody by Kellhus, fighting and trying to catch hold of his waning hope to find Moenghus. And Kellhus lays it out before him how they'll come to the Holy War, giving us one of the best lines of the book. "We shall come to them out of the darkness, Scylvendi. We'll be whoever we say we are." Gives me chills every time I read it.

Sranchammer, king of One Scene Wonders throughout the whole series thus far.

The late-book interrogation, that is all.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: The Sharmat ---
--- Quote from: Sideris ---ANY scene with Conphas. He's a joy to read. Even though he's supremely young, I always, always picture James Purefoy's portrayal of Marc Antony from HBO's Rome. The smarm and cunning just fit the mold.

--- End quote ---
So I'm not the only one.

The Prologue is one of my favorites actually. Though only after a re-reading. The prose there is quite beautiful, I think. "One cannot raise walls against what has been forgotten." Other favorites include any scene where Cnaiur is THE MOST VIOLENT OF ALL MEN.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Sideris ---I'd have to agree. I appreciate the prologue (despite its wonky formatting) a lot more in the third go-around. The encounter with the Nonman is an especially good point, as is Kellhus losing it for a while.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Camlost ---I find the scene where Akka staggers back to camp, oblivious to all but his reeling thoughts, after the discovery of the Consult more and more profound with each reread
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version