Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2013, 02:59:40 pm »
Can I turn this topic around (if it hasn't been done before)?  Who introduced you to the Bakkerverse?

My father was the one that delivered the above mentioned favor.  He recommended the book to me under the pretense that it was "dark" enough to pique my interest.

I was out looking for some new books, hitting all the authors alphabetically I used to rigorously check out (before I started reading non-fic, fairly religiously). In my wandering through, finding nothing, I saw this beautiful black cover. Pulled it down. Read the jacket. Read some random open pages in the prologue and during the first two chapters somewhere. Put it back. Two weeks later, still hadn't found something new to grasp my attention. I saw it again when I returned. Finished it in two shifts at the gas station I worked at. Bought TWP. I thought initially that a WLW-esque (true appendage of Gods) was going to be TWP before I began reading that one - it was a mild disappointment then that it just described Kellhus' rise but now we have the WLW and Mimara so I was more than equally pleased.

I had to wait for TTT but then I literally read the books like back to back to back twice over course of a couple months before I realized a) that there was another series and this wasn't a standalone trilogy - mind blown - b) and that the Three-Seas forum existed - I had not the care enough for other books to talk about them online yet.

/monologue ;)
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2013, 07:16:28 pm »
I just picked up TTT at a used books store. It had a cool cover :P
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2013, 02:26:08 am »
I was at a WH Smith's in Brent Cross, looking for something new to read.  Started at the A's, came across a cool black-covered book, looked dark, had a blurb from Erikson on the front about how good it was, read the back, loved the names (SOOOOOOO tired of the faux European fantasy names, etc.), and bought it on the spot.  Changed my life.  Can't go back.
No whistling on the slog!

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2013, 09:07:33 am »
Since there is a lack of fantasy books available in book stores where I live,I buy them online.Pure luck that his name popped up when I was randomly searching for some fantasy to read.Some guy just mentioned PON as "fantasy for grown ups,deeply philosophical,and it shows how mass delusion can form massive religions" So since I consider myself somewhat grown up,interested in philosophy and the nature of why people believe shit,I gave it a go.It turned out to be one of my better gambles so far :)

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:39 pm »
I saw a map of Eärwa on some random site somwhere in the web. There was also a short review of the first book on the site and I liked the title "The Darkness that comes before".
The review was not so positive about the book:  too dark, too complicated, too brutal, no main characters to root for, etc... ), all things, which I adore in my fantasy readings 8)
I must admit, I slogged through the first book at first, but somhow at the end, when the skinspy was revealed and the Holy War marches against Shimeh, I was hooked. I reread the whole book some weeks later, and found out, I had missed the best stuff and understand more and more about the characters and the world. After that, I bought all available books. And I hunger. Hunger... for... more.... 8)

Francis Buck

« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2013, 05:28:47 pm »
I think TSA was the first fantasy I read after being drawn into the genre through ASOIAF (before that I read very little fantasy, maybe a handful outside of Tolkien and Harry Potter, and mostly when I was younger). The exotic aspect of the world-building and culture is what initially drew me in the most, and it's probably the biggest inspiration I've taken from the series in my own writing -- as Somnambulist said, the same old medieval pseudo-European settings, names, etc. are boring as hell. I find it kind of baffling that with so much fantasy writing out there, so few authors have really attempted to branch out. Later on it was the depth of the world and metaphysics that kept me hooked though.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2013, 12:10:14 am »
I must admit, I slogged through the first book at first, but somhow at the end, when the skinspy was revealed and the Holy War marches against Shimeh, I was hooked.

This exactly.
When all the characters and stories converged near the end, I had this overwhelming feeling of awe. From that point forward I couldn't stop.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2013, 12:37:54 am »
I just picked it at random (well, I liked the art on the spine, the medieval stuff), I think I thought the title was cool in an ominous way (TDTCB) and flipped open an arbitrary page. It was at a time when I felt I lacked in reading anything, really, and should read something, but had no idea where to start. So I started largely at random. I flicked open a page at random (I think it was a conphas scene) and it had something interesting on it. I flipped to another page - something interesting. Third time was a charm. Really it only had to have had one interesting thing in three to four random page flips.

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2013, 06:55:41 pm »
I asked my feminist book club for books that had feminist themes, was recommended the works of Scott Bakker
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:09:47 pm by Phallus Pendulus »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2013, 07:02:31 pm »
Nailed it.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2013, 12:01:34 am »

I'm inclined to think I shouldn't take this seriously.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2013, 12:43:43 am »
Maybe it was ironic book suggestion day and P.P. didn't get the memo?

The Great Scald

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2013, 11:46:29 pm »
I asked my feminist book club for books that had feminist themes, was recommended the works of Scott Bakker

;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:48:06 pm by Auriga »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2013, 01:05:49 am »
I've been in a couple Barnes and Noble bookstores, and it doesn't appear that they stock Bakker anymore. I haven't seen any of his books in any of those stores for a while. :(

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2013, 01:15:53 am »
Read the synopsis in a book store, thought about it, went back and bought TDTCB.
Not even my local genre book shop stocks Bakker anymore.  Frikkin' heathens.

Mind you, its like when I was a lad and folk turned their nose up at the mention of fantasy, sci fi et al.  Now-a-day's media is saturation with stuff nerds pioneered.  I feel like Bakker will one day be seen like JRR is today.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.