When can we start talking about The Great Ordeal?

• 3 Replies

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: July 06, 2016, 06:31:31 pm »
I am on chapter 4 (not in the order I expected) and I've hit my third holy sh*t moment, and need to hear what others are thinking about the book.
I don't want to post spoilers, so go out and buy the book already!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 07:18:27 pm »
I am on chapter 4 (not in the order I expected) and I've hit my third holy sh*t moment, and need to hear what others are thinking about the book.
I don't want to post spoilers, so go out and buy the book already!

I'm not sure what our "official" policy is just yet, I know we are waiting until after September 29th (the UK release date) to allow spoilers anywhere, but until then I think they might be ok here in the TGO section as long as they are marked in the thread title.

I'd just wait for Madness to say. In the meantime you can message me if you want.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:02:03 pm »
See below :)
FYI, the quoted is posted in the Announcements subforum, and is now in this subforum as well. If anyone has any questions or comments, please post it. Thanks.

There are copies of this book being officially purchased now.

This topic is for the discussion of our spoiler policy. All that follows is up for debate (assuming it's not just Wilshire and I hashing it out, in which case, I yield to Madshire).

Because of the haphazard fashion in which these books are finding their way into the hands of fans, I'll ask that all TGO discussion happen exclusively in The Great Ordeal subforum. The one exception to this will be the Author Q&A, as I'm sure fans will have questions for Bakker and Bakker will want to interact with the fans following a general release.

I'll ask that any thread made discussing TGO, even in The Great Ordeal subforum, include "[TGO SPOILERS]" at the start of your thread subject and that thread subjects don't include obvious spoilers themselves (to the best of your abilities).

Following the UK general release in a couple months time, General Earwa will also host TGO discussion threads, we can drop the "[TGO SPOILERS]" tag, and hopefully bring back Quorum.

Cheers all. Input on these thoughts is encourage as we'd like to be inclusive as possible to old and new fans alike.

Reasoning: Most people check "All Unread" or "New Replies" rather than subforums, for new posts. This should afford some protection for those who want to avoid spoilers. It will also help those commenting on posts to avoid inadvertently posting spoilers where they do not belong.

Basically, open spoilers in The Great Ordeal subforum, no spoilers anywhere else.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:14:40 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 02:39:59 pm »
Yeah, the big issue is that UK general release isn't until Sep 29th. As Wilshire quoted, the consideration is mainly for people who want to avoid spoilers in thread titles. So just make sure that you include "[TGO SPOILERS]" in the title subject and that TGO discussion is limited to the TGO subforum.

There's the issue of Author Q&A as well but we can tackle that in one of the aforementioned "TGO Spoiler Policy" stickied threads.

I'll be making the TGO ARC subforum public but locked on July 12th (I think, that's best and people can make continuation threads for the same topics in TGO subforum so as to "start fresh" for everyone with official copies). There was a limited use TGO ARC Author Q&A as well but probably I'll just move those threads to the regular Author Q&A.

So again, if you want to avoid spoilers stay out of the TGO subforum and be wary of the Author Q&A. The mods will attempt to corral and correct spoiling offenders :P.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer