[TGO SPOILERS] First complete chapter with Akka and Mimara

• 60 Replies

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 11:28:59 pm »
The Consult have had this one in the bag for the last couple of centuries at least, why on Earwa have they been waiting for mankind to muster its forces and cut their way into Mordor?

That is an awesome question and IIRC one we've mused on in the past. 

I think it's probably a matter of scale.  The Ten-Yoke Legion could manage 100k Sranc.  But what would it take to coordinate millions?  I think that's why the No-God becomes necessary to their plan -- there simply isn't enough Consult leadership to lead an army of that size.

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 11:32:38 pm »
Odium I think it is because the Consult does not truly control the sranc except in proximity, think of the sranc on the plain chasing the skin eaters, they were bent on taking the skin eaters and only the intervention of the skinspy stopped them. And even then only the scent stayed their hand for a little while and the skinspy had to kill the leader, like a wolf taking out the alpha to become the new alpha. They did not know of the Consult, it was not even a myth to them. The brilliance of the sranc design has also made them uncontrollable except with the No-God, they multiply so fast and over so vast an area that they cannot be controlled. They are like ants, if left unchecked they will dominate the landscape, the Meorish peoples who became the middle-north believe themselves better because they battles the sranc clans for a millennia on the long side. Even now they battle them, in the judging eye it was said that some clans became scalpoi in an almost religious cause. They and the sclvendi have been a bulwark against the sranc coming into the three seas.
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 11:44:49 pm »
@Odium, I understand where coming from completely. I just don't like the idea of it. Is it something that weighs heavily on my mind? No. I just was expecting a bit more originality. Its just a personal preference, and has no effect on how much I love the story. And, as I said, it was done well. It was a horrific scene to read about. Don't put too much stock into my complaints over the matter, lol.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 05:14:19 am »
SJ on question 3 I think it was simply them looking for long enough, if the child remembers going into the underground and coming out, then this happened in the 5 or so years. At the end of the warrior prophet they began to look and in the thousandfold thought Cnaiur the Consult Ishual is in the mountains, then it took maybe 15 years of searching for them to find it.

Will the identity of child be revealed? He could be a cousin or even grandchild of Kellhus, I think he is being overlooked because of the awesomeness of Koringhus.

I wonder why Koringhus is the survivor? Was he the only fully trained Dunyain, and the child is not considered a full Dunyain sort of like a padawan.

On the question of Koringhus it is said that the Dunyain push each generation to the very limits of their ability and that is why they progress, if Kellhus was the greatest Dunyain ever in terms of skills and his son is considered the closest to the Absolute then maybe Koringhus is superior to Kellhus. But where can this merry band go? I doubt to Isheteribinth and the three seas is to far, so the great ordeal would seem the only option.
Akka can probably teach him the gnosis in a few weeks, then they can go anywhere ;)

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 09:10:55 am »
Haha! If Akka taught another Dunyain the gnosis he'd deserve what he gets. 

I'm very much hoping once he gets over his initial terror he'll realize that so long as he has standing wards, he has nothing to fear from either of them, and in fact their continued existence is purely at his dispensation.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 09:26:38 am »
Akka picked a bad week to give up Qirri.

Akka seems in a bad way mentally at the end of the that excerpt. The Qirri normally dulls stuff but he's info overloaded.

Mimara has two chorae on her, so he's not clear of danger at all.

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 09:57:43 am »
Oh hell, that's a good point.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 06:40:05 pm »
Akka should be fine. He's got skin wards as well as the spherical ones. As long he's not touch Mimara he should be fine.
Mimara OTOH, is in much more danger.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 07:19:34 pm »
Akka should be fine. He's got skin wards as well as the spherical ones. As long he's not touch Mimara he should be fine.

I was meaning the Dunyain getting the Chorae off her to use on Akka. It's not like he can't play a long game if needed to get it.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 07:48:35 pm »
Thinking on Koringhus and the child today. What is so special about the boy that Koringhus saves him and carries him into the TTH and protects him for those long years? He is Dunyain after all, and they don't brook much sympathy for others. What makes the Dunyain that burns the brightest with the Logos, save a babe?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 08:11:31 pm »

I was meaning the Dunyain getting the Chorae off her to use on Akka. It's not like he can't play a long game if needed to get it.

Oh yeah, you're totally right. Didn't even consider that lol.

One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 10:59:58 pm »
Oh I thought you meant he can't protect her with those on so they're still vulnerable.

I'd think that only happens if they subconsciously reveal what those chorae do. But I expect them to make it to the GO, so...plot armor.

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 11:01:10 pm »
Sure hope that kid isn't a skinspy sorcerer using Cants of Compulsion to manipulate Koringhus.

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 03:30:05 am »
MSJ I think for the boy it was just chance, if the Dunyain know they have not grasped the Absolute, then the next generation is their only hope to achieve the mission. And so all of the young ones would have been brought to the thousand thousand halls, he happened to be the only survivor.

But since we know the world conspires I think the child will be very important, going off my theory that Ishual is Gondolin and the bloodline that defeated Morgoth came from there. The fact that the child has one hand may be a nod to Beren One Handed who stole a Simaril from Morgoth crown.

Whatever happens with the Ordeal I think their will have to be a time jump, all of these new characters will need time to come to the fore.
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 05:47:25 pm »

But since we know the world conspires I think the child will be very important, going off my theory that Ishual is Gondolin and the bloodline that defeated Morgoth came from there. The fact that the child has one hand may be a nod to Beren One Handed who stole a Simaril from Morgoth crown.

Yea, I was thinking that maybe he was Koringhus's son. Or, he is a prodigy nonetheless. I don't agree that Koringhus saves him by chance, that the boy was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Bakker said this is just the first chapter in Ishual, so I can only assume there is plenty more revelation to come. Stay tuned. I know I will.