Ender's Quartet

• 12 Replies

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:44:21 am »
I just finished up Children of the Mind, after a long hiatus from the series following what I found to be a less than enjoyable read of Xenocide, and I'm left disappointed. Neither the third or the fourth installments managed to deliver on that which made the first two so captivating. Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I missing something about the last two that might redeem them in my eyes if I were enlightened?

(click to show/hide)

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:57:07 am »
I think it's widely accepted the 3rd and 4th are easily the weakest - plenty of fans of Enders Game hate all 3 of the sequels. It is understandable to me as they differ so much in tone - personally I felt the same, Enders Game and SftD are both great with the 3rd and 4th being merely ok.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:55:20 pm »
SFTD is one of my all-time favorite SF books. I really enjoyed aspects of v.3 and v.4 but overall v.4 didn't cap the series as well as might've been done?

I also liked much of the Shadow Quartet (and beyond), despite Card veering towards pulp and YA in most of the EEU.

The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 06:33:35 pm »
Yeah 3/4 where not as captivating, but I liked them still. His wife dying of sadness was a bit on the lame side, but otherwise I thought it was pretty cool.

the Shadow books did much the same thing, imo, and probably not worth the time I spent finishing them.

also: http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=681.0
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:44:35 pm »
I really need to read these (at least the first two). I've kinda/sorta read Ender's Game was when in like sixth grade and skimmed parts of SFTD, but I need to do a legit one. Might be my next books.

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 02:55:19 pm »
I was looking at some of the other series related to the Ender set and it looks as if much of them are parallel or prequel to Ender's Game. Is there any part of the expanded series that follows up on those elements left open at the end of Children of the Mind?
(click to show/hide)
I want more of Jane too

EDIT: I had in quotes what should have been in spoiler
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:20:00 pm by Camlost »

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »
I was looking at some of the other series related to the Ender set and it looks as if much of them are parallel or prequel to Ender's Game. Is there any part of the expanded series that follows up on those elements left open at the end of Children of the Mind?
What becomes of the descaladores?
I want more of Jane too
Card is supposedly going to write a unifying sequel, but he's said that for 16 years

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:28:04 am »
Card is supposedly going to write a unifying sequel, but he's said that for 16 years
I think if he did, I'd be reading it more out obligation that actual interest.. I found the resolutions of the previous two installments too easy and the major ones unaddressed at the ending

Garet Jax

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 02:41:47 pm »
When I successfully block out Card's knack for repetition in the books, I really enjoyed all four books with Enders Game being my least favorite. 

More Jane would be great though, she reminds me of Cortana from Halo on steroids.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 03:20:46 pm »
When I successfully block out Card's knack for repetition in the books, I really enjoyed all four books with Enders Game being my least favorite. 

More Jane would be great though, she reminds me of Cortana from Halo on steroids.

Any story about some race other than the humans at the central POV from Card seems like it would be great.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 08:18:29 pm »

Any story about some race other than the humans at the central POV from Card seems like it would be great.
That would be the last book of the homecoming series.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 12:48:34 pm »
Already done... I may have to look at it, though I'm rather skeptical about picking up any of his Ender Saga books post CotM. After reading the Shadow books, I lost all interest.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 10:08:27 pm »
Homecoming is an allegorical retelling of the book of mormon, not an ender book