Miscellaneous Chatter > RPG Discussion

DMing brainstorm, artifacts and stuff

(1/4) > >>

dragharrow:
Hey guys, I know some of you play pen and paper games. I'm running a campaign for the first time and am trying to come up with fresh ideas. Honestly the hardest part of it I've found is that I can't bounce ideas off my friends. The people I normally kick writing ideas around with are my players. I don't know if there's enough activity in this part of the forum to keep this kind of post alive but does anyone want to try and come up with some ideas?

I'm down to talk about whatever, encounters and plot stuff, but right now I'm trying to come up with some interesting artifacts for my players to find. I really like Bakker's artifacts. They're mechanically interesting, and they fit with the metaphysical rules of magic he's set out, but they maintain all the mystique and wonder you want from artifacts. They all feel unique and clearly leverage sorcery in cool ways. I have a forerunner race in my game that is roughly modeled on the nonmen and I want to put interesting remnants of their civilization in the world. Does anyone have any thoughts for artifacts like that? Like the Diurnal and that kind of thing?

Garet Jax:
Hey dragharrow,

I have a list somewhere of ideas for you.  When I get home I will try to find it and edit this post.

But,  my DM did something that I have never heard of.  (Which means next to nothing because I have only played with one DM)  While playing, if any person is drinking, or smoking (mary jane or cigarettes) he has a structure that directly impacts your character.  I hit our paladin (my brother) with a spell that went awry because I had consumed 6 beers at that point.  Didn't end up well for my character since the Paladin had about enough of overlooking my alignment issues by that point.

Just food for thought...

Cheers!

H:
Hmm, well, off the top of my head here are some half (and less than half) baked ideas:

A soul-trapping sword (or other weapon).  If souls could be held in a wrathi doll, why not in a sword or something?  I have no idea what it's function is though.

Some sort of "philosopher's stone" that invokes, or projects, "becoming."  I'm not sure how deeply you are following the Nonmen in their philosophical bent, or to which end, but this could even be a "nihil stone" of sorts, doing the reverse and invoking oblivion.  Or maybe it alternates between the two?  Or maybe it does both at the same time?  Perhaps it prevents either or both?

There is also that thing about Nonmen and trees, that I don't think we ever really figured out.  Perhaps there is an ensouled tree?  Or things made from an ensouled tree?  I don't know why I keep wanting to give inanimate objects souls...

Rather than chorae, how about something that enhances magic?  An object that can amplify magical power?  A lens of some sort.

Speaking of lenses, maybe some kind of lens that allows perception of the Outside?

A book that can somehow devour knowledge, rather than impart it?  This seems really OP and mean, haha, maybe it just devours memories?

I'm just vomiting up nonsense now.  Perhaps with a little more plot/background I could brainstorm some better stuff.  Then again, maybe not,  :-[

dragharrow:

--- Quote from: Garet Jax on September 24, 2015, 05:57:00 pm ---Hey dragharrow,
I have a list somewhere of ideas for you.  When I get home I will try to find it and edit this post.

--- End quote ---
Awesome, thanks man.

Lol, I like the substance use thing, that's hilarious. I don't know if I would ever use that though, I would want to de-incentivise consumption at my table lol. Wouldn't be fair since I tend to make it through 40 when we play. No complaints that it's effected my GMing though. I do find that the weed smokers go through short periods of quiet after they hit the vape though.

I like all those H. I don't know about the soul trapping stuff though. Bakker does the animata in such a distinct way, super different than they're normally used. I don't think I could elevate soul binding beyond the standard. I'm still down for brainstorming in that direction though.

--- Quote from: H on September 24, 2015, 06:39:37 pm ---Speaking of lenses, maybe some kind of lens that allows perception of the Outside?

A book that can somehow devour knowledge, rather than impart it?  This seems really OP and mean, haha, maybe it just devours memories?

--- End quote ---

I really like these two and I'm sort of exploring both of those concepts with my not-nonmen already. Great minds. There's a nonmen undercity nearby my players and two of the points of interest line up with what you're suggesting. They're these two deep pools of water in the depths of dungeon, the first was were they disposed of their dead and it can now be used to glimpse in chaos of the outside. The other pool of water is in the mage's library. They used it as a kind of sorcerous hardrive. Both can be accessed by the players but at severe psychological cost. So we're on the same page.

Anyway I'm totally down to post some general lore and plot if you guys are interested. I really want to bounce ideas around with people. Have you guys been playing recently?

H:
I haven't played a pen and paper RPG in probably 15+ years,  :(

I'm probably better coming up with half ideas if I already have something to start with.  If you post some ideas of the plot, I might be able to come up with some better stuff.  I'll definitely read it and see what I can do if you post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version