Earwa > The No-God

Will Akka and co even make it back to the TS?

<< < (3/10) > >>

ThoughtsOfThelli:

--- Quote from: profgrape on May 29, 2018, 05:40:55 pm ---Or Dream-Kellhus teaches him the Metagnosis?  But is this even possible?  As far as we know, only Kellhus, Serwa and Saccarees have successfully cast a Metagnostic Cant -- a Dunyain prodigy, a half-Dunyain prodigy and a human prodigy.  Akka's an accomplished sorcerer in his own right (a War Cant master or something) so maybe he could grasp the Metagnosis if he has the right teacher?

--- End quote ---

That's why it would be a deus ex machina, it doesn't seem like it'd be possible. ;)

Dream Kellhus would probably be the best option in this hypothetical situation.

TaoHorror:

--- Quote from: ThoughtsOfThelli on May 29, 2018, 06:11:29 pm ---
--- Quote from: profgrape on May 29, 2018, 05:40:55 pm ---Or Dream-Kellhus teaches him the Metagnosis?  But is this even possible?  As far as we know, only Kellhus, Serwa and Saccarees have successfully cast a Metagnostic Cant -- a Dunyain prodigy, a half-Dunyain prodigy and a human prodigy.  Akka's an accomplished sorcerer in his own right (a War Cant master or something) so maybe he could grasp the Metagnosis if he has the right teacher?

--- End quote ---

That's why it would be a deus ex machina, it doesn't seem like it'd be possible. ;)

Dream Kellhus would probably be the best option in this hypothetical situation.

--- End quote ---

Or the right motivation ... TNG on your tail may well spark the creative juices and next thing you know you're back in TTS. Kellhus figured it out facing down 3 Cishaurim.

ThoughtsOfThelli:

--- Quote from: TaoHorror on May 29, 2018, 06:19:12 pm ---Or the right motivation ... TNG on your tail may well spark the creative juices and next thing you know you're back in TTS. Kellhus figured it out facing down 3 Cishaurim.

--- End quote ---

If this is going to be a "figure out your superpowers via immediate threat" kind of situation, I think Sranc are more likely than the actual No-God. Unless, of course, they do decide to go straight to a densely populated area, which doesn't seem to be the best choice, as has been discussed.

profgrape:

--- Quote from: ThoughtsOfThelli on May 29, 2018, 06:35:52 pm ---
--- Quote from: TaoHorror on May 29, 2018, 06:19:12 pm ---Or the right motivation ... TNG on your tail may well spark the creative juices and next thing you know you're back in TTS. Kellhus figured it out facing down 3 Cishaurim.

--- End quote ---

If this is going to be a "figure out your superpowers via immediate threat" kind of situation, I think Sranc are more likely than the actual No-God. Unless, of course, they do decide to go straight to a densely populated area, which doesn't seem to be the best choice, as has been discussed.

--- End quote ---
The Gnosis doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that you discover as much as something that's studied.  The idea of spontaneously gaining new powers in times of stress is more in line with the Psukhe.  Although now that I think about it, Akka stumbling on the Psukhe sounds really cool... :-)

I'm guessing that by the time Kellhus first utters the Cant of Translocation to teleport from Kyudea toward Shimeh, he'd already worked out the mechanics.  The Cant of Calling (basis for the CoT) is the first thing he insists Akka teach him.  And during the same session, he asks about the second inutteral.    So he had a few months to ponder at least.

ThoughtsOfThelli:

--- Quote from: profgrape on May 29, 2018, 07:28:44 pm ---The Gnosis doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that you discover as much as something that's studied.  The idea of spontaneously gaining new powers in times of stress is more in line with the Psukhe.  Although now that I think about it, Akka stumbling on the Psukhe sounds really cool... :-)

I'm guessing that by the time Kellhus first utters the Cant of Translocation to teleport from Kyudea toward Shimeh, he'd already worked out the mechanics.  The Cant of Calling (basis for the CoT) is the first thing he insists Akka teach him.  And during the same session, he asks about the second inutteral.    So he had a few months to ponder at least.

--- End quote ---

Sure, I do agree with you there, I just came up with this as an option following the "deus ex machina" train of thought. I don't think this will actually happen in future books (I'd be quite surprised if it did). Unless he is taught the Metagnosis by say, Serwa, Saccarees or Dream Kellhus over a certain period of time during the course of the Apocalypse.

But yes, it would make more sense for an "emergency activation of superpowers" to happen with the Psûkhe. Speaking of which, we still have a convenient Cishaurim somewhere in the Three Seas that has not been confirmed as being dead... ;)
Not sure if we'll ever see someone use those two different branches of sorcery in the story... In theory, someone could (most likely a Dûnyain or half-Dûnyain)...in practice, not that easy. Everything is possible in the chaos of the Apocalypse, though, it's not like anyone is going to hunt down Akka the Wizard anytime soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version