Earwa > General Earwa

[TUC Spoilers} Apocalypse, Armageddon, Eucalyptus, and Word Choice

<< < (2/5) > >>

Wilshire:
As for the books, I'd have to check. However, just look at Bakker's personal websites (not the fan made ones):

His "newly" built author website: https://secondapocalypse.ca/ (built by Scott and his brother Brian)
Not only is the website's url secondapocalyse, The Second Apocalypse is used all over the website when refering to all the books - Its even the website title ("The Second Apocalypse by R Scott Bakker") on the loaded page and the descriptive text on the browser tab. Even the first sentence on the home page: "This trailer showcases many of the aspects of the Second Apocalypse that make the series unique." It is describing the Second Apocalypse trailer which is a trailer of the entire series, from TDTCB.
Farther down on the page:
" Though you'll be missing out on an amazing back story it is possible to join the Second Apocalypse saga at book four.
The picture to left features Second Apocalypse Author Scott Bakker co-hosting... "

Or his blog https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/
There is a link up top that say "The Second Apocalypse Trailer"
Up in Stories there's two headers:
(1)  Atrocity Tales (short fiction set in the world of The Second Apocalypse)
(2)  Short fiction unrelated to the world of The Second Apocalypse

Also on TPB, check out his about page, its all over that as well https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/about/ :
"...the centerpiece of my project is The Second Apocalypse, the tale of a monastic outcast who rises from obscurity to ..."

Edit:
Checking out  some of his oldest interviews. Back in 2004 Bakker said:

--- Quote ---How many books are you planning on writing in the PoN Universe? Also, are there any other writing projects you're considering in the near future?

I'm presently working on The Thousandfold Thought, which concludes The Prince of Nothing. Following this, I have a draft of a near future thriller entitled Neuropath, which I hope to gussy up and shop around before returning to fantasy, which is my first love.

When I originally conceived the whole story (The Second Apocalypse) way back when, it was a trilogy with The Prince of Nothing as the first book, The Aspect-Emperor as the second, and The-Book-that-Shall-Not-Be-Named as the third. But of course The Prince of Nothing has since become a trilogy in its own right, which would seem to suggest that The Second Apocalypse will be nine books long! I honestly have no idea how long it will ultimately be. My best guess is that The Aspect-Emperor and The-Book-that-Shall-Not-Be-Named will both be dualogies - if that's really a word...
--- End quote ---
my bold.
I'm sure there's more.

Its really all over everything Bakker has done or put together in at least the last 15 years . I'm not going to go all the way back to the derelict Three Seas forums to check references there. I'm also pretty sure he's used the name himself in the various Q/As he did here/reddit/other-forum but I'm less sure about that.

Regardless, "just a fan name" is definitely a gross misinterpretation. If its not clear from the books, that's definitely Bakker's fault though, not yours.

SmilerLoki:
It still looks very fuzzy to me. Bakker's new site (it's like a year or two old now?) just uses the already extremely well-established name, while the interviews are edited in such a way as to be clear to the reader and do not necessarily reflect Bakker's own words as they were said. My biggest problem is the books themselves never featuring the name. Granted, it might be Overlook doing its magic again, but, nonetheless, it is done.

Wilshire:
You said two things, one was that its not in the books, and two was that Bakker never said it. He's clearly been saying it for 15 years is all that I was pointing out.

I'm pretty sure its in the books somewhere, but at the very least its not in the PON books. There is confusion in many places about what to call the whole series, precisely because its not made clear from the start. I keep forgetting to check my copies when I get home.

Just keep in mind that Bakker is known for this kind of gaff. He didn't know, for example, The Rape of Omindalea was removed from the TTT glossary, which is a pretty fundamental piece of lore imo. He probably is entirely unaware that most of the internet has no idea what the title of his book series is (its usually refereed to as Prince of Nothing).

But regardless, people being aware of it doesn't change what it actually is.

SmilerLoki:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on February 12, 2020, 01:16:24 pm ---You said two things, one was that its not in the books, and two was that Bakker never said it. He's clearly been saying it for 15 years is all that I was pointing out.

--- End quote ---
That might simply be because he was using an established fan name (still not sure it was exactly him, and not the editors of his interviews), my point was. Which means there can be no inherent meaning in it, just convenience.

And yeah, the Rape of Omindalea debacle is another thing that I find severely odd. Oh well, those are some questions to ask Bakker if I ever get the chance.

Nichamian:
I don’t recall it coming up until TAE, I think the WHCB sections refer to the ‘First Apocalypse’, which heavily implies an as yet unmentioned Second. Akka also declares it to the Ordeal as they retreat, ‘the Second Apocalypse is upon us’ or some such. Its late on, but Bakker does mention it in text.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version