Earwa > General Earwa

Bakker and Emotion

<< < (2/7) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---The above notes are kind of the synthesis of all the previously dominant theories, Bakker User.

I'll have to revisit the relevant parts of A Mind of Its Own.

"With additional studies, the researchers conclude that EVR had no internal goal representation. In order for goals to remain stable for EVR, they had to be represented externally and repeatedly. Otherwise, '...it was as if he forgot to remember short- and intermediate- term goals.... He couldn't keep a problem in perspective in relation to other goals.'(1985, p.1737).

The somatic marker hypothesis is presented by Damasio to explain these experimental findings. The hypothesis is that bodily feelings normally accompany our representations of the anticipated outcomes of options. In other words, feelings mark response options to real or simulated decisions. Somatic markers serve as an automatic device to speed one to select biologically advantageous options. Those options that are left unmarked are omitted in the decision-making process. (2) Damasio suggests that patients with frontal lobe damage fail to activate these somatic markers which are directly linked to punishment and reward, and originate in previously experienced social situations. EVR's decision making defect is explained by an inability to activate somatic states when ordinary decisions arise; by an inability to mark the implications of a social situation with a signal that would separate good and bad options. (3) EVR was therefore trapped in a never-ending cost-benefit analysis of numerous and conflicting options. In the absence of emotional markers, decision making is virtually impossible" http://cogsci.uwaterloo.ca/Articles/Pages/Emot.Decis.html

I'd hazard that EVR symptoms are consistent with damage in the connections between cortical divisions. Perhaps, a disconnect between 1, 2 & 3, so that EVR never experiences 3.

As a segue; modern research pretty much focuses on affective valence when shop-talking emotions.

EDIT: Also, Bakker User, you missed when Cnaiur rapes Serwe in TDTCB before Kellhus.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Bakker User ---
--- Quote ---(3) EVR was therefore trapped in a never-ending cost-benefit analysis of numerous and conflicting options. In the absence of emotional markers, decision making is virtually impossible
--- End quote ---

I 'love' those lines.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---
--- Quote from: Bakker User ---*Possibly when Kellhus spares Cnaiur - I  think this has been touched upon by others
*The crucifixion/circumfixion and Serwe's death - could be delirium
*Momentarily, when Aurax nearly seduces him (with pheremones?) in the guise of Esmenet
*This is the most telling, I believe: when Esmi is pregnant and the Holy War is in Caraskand, she nearly falls down a chasm; Kellhus notes that the fall would have been fatal and, just before he saves her, feels lightheaded
--- End quote ---
There's also the scene where he has his eyes closed but didn't notice.

And in regard to the subject, there's the scene where he finds a twig in his sandal and stares at it blankly for hours before it falls from his fingers - (click to show/hide)in a latter book, he again finds a twig, but this time one branch of it is green.
Your point is one of the big issues I have with the booksas to what remains that drives a Dunyain? Through the book I almost continually rage that we don't get into this meat!!!! GRRRRRR!!!! Like the most teasing flag ever! Grrr!
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: bbaztek ---Isn't what drives a dunyain their mission to become a self-moving soul? Everything else is a step in that direction, tools to help facilitate that state of being. As for what a dunyain might want to do after attaining the Absolute, it's folly to try and comprehend what might make a being that has mastered causality tick. It is so far beyond our frame of reference as human beings it's like trying to teach calculus to a frog.

edit: also it was aurang that possessed esmi in TTT. i can feel my neckbeard thickening just posting this
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---That describes the intellectual outline of the goal. It does not describe the passion behind it.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version