Earwa > General Earwa

Schools, their numbers and resources

(1/4) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: generic ---I recently skimmed the books in search for exact numbers of Schoolmen. I probably missed a lot so help is welcome.

1st HW:

The only School that gets an explicit count in the TTT appendix is the Mandate. They typically consist of fifty to sixty sorcerers of rank (SoR) and about twice that of initiates. It is also mentioned that those numbers are typical for a minor School.

The Scarlet Spires are the most powerful School so there should be considerable more of them. 74 sorcerers of rank participated in the siege of Shimeh. They lost 15 SoR to the desert and the plague(Wp ch23). 2 while capturing DA. 6 more in the Battle of Anwurat. At least three of unkown rank in Caraskand. Six Schoolman when DA broke out 3 of them SoR. All in all I'd say there were no more than 150 SoR in total.

The Mysunsai are probably the largest School according to the appendix.

The Saik are still considered a major School. Presumably there are more than 60 then?

GO

Swayali: At the first Battle of the Horde 43 are kept in reserve and about "200 lights" are deployed. No distinction between SoR and Initiates are mentioned. They use the Gnosis.

The combined number of Mandate and Vokalati is given as more than 300 SoR and some 200 understudies before the 2. Battle of the Horde.

Edit: Fixed blatant mistakes re DA vs SS, added Anwurat
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Sideris ---As I recall, Achamian killed nine SoR in TWP.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sologdin ---not sure about the numbers y'all have for DA v. spires:

(click to show/hide)"For the completion of their task, Eleazaras had left him only six Schoolmen, three of them sorcerers of rank."(II.19 (2005) at 424).

(click to show/hide)"A string of catastrophes.  The disastrous losses at the battle of Anwurat.  General Setpanares killed.  Fifteen sorcerers of rank dead between the desert and the plague.  And the disaster of Iothiah, which claimed the lives of two others."(II.23 at 527).
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---Sologdin, just in case you where unsure, this section is not one where spoiler tags have been used much.

Also, I do believe that Achamian lets us know the exact number  that the scarlet spires has. Unfortunatly I dont remember if it was in TWP or TTT. I seem to remember something between 1 and 2 hundred scorcers (of rank or otherwise).

Also the Mandate (and so presumably other schools) have more ranking systems other than just 'sorcerers of rank'. In the library scene (I think) Akka refers to himself as a "war-cant master". This leads me to believe that the number of 'ranked' scorcerers could be like counting the number of officers in an army. Sure there are a lot less officers, but if you killed a couple generals the rest would fall apart (the head of a snake and all that). There is the matter of how those ranks between schools stack up. Its like collecting baseball cards, where 90% of the value is in 10% of the cards. Same with the few. Each 'rank' is probably a pretty significant step, especially when you consider the amount of knowledge, the purity of meaning, and many other factors contributing to strength.

If you look at TFS you can see that although the two sorcerers there (sorry forget names) have vastly different "power levels", even though they both have the gnosis and they are both at similar 'ranks' in their respective schools.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Sideris ---I'm recalling something Eli was thinking on in TTT, I believe. Perhaps late TWP. I'll find it later.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version