• 35 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 02:46:28 am »
Saying Kellhus is the no-god is like saying the butler did it, without reading the book on why or how he did it, or even if he did it.

Scott refers to it as a cosmological who dunnit? Do you just skip to the last page of a whodunnit?

I don't think what was said was that out of line...  Francis Buck just said it was a knee-jerk reaction...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 10:46:39 am »
Well, i was also convinced that the last series will be called The No God for a loong time now....and that Kellhus will most probably be the No God by then. Lets face it, he isn't human for half of the Prince of Nothing...we do not see that much of him in TAE...but i don't think he has become a nice fellow since PON so... .

Oh and un-knoting knots is not that difficult if you can shift dimensions...which Kellhus will be able to after TUC....  ;)

As to the anti-climax if big K. will be No-God...well...i'm not sure. Because we think-in-circles like this "Scott has so clearly set this up this way that it cannnot be...or wait, did he know that we would think that and therefore it will be like this....or...." [add-nauseum] ... i could totally see Scott doing exactly that and laughing his ass off  ;D

Anyway, i hope we will see TUC asap and then we can start to speculate for real what the last series will be about.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 11:25:59 am »
We'll see what TUC brings. I actually think my head may explode while I read this book.

Lol,I think this forum will blow up the internet when TUC arrives :)

Garet Jax

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 02:29:10 pm »
We'll see what TUC brings. I actually think my head may explode while I read this book.

Lol,I think this forum will blow up the internet when TUC arrives :)

That is my hope Royce.  This forum is showing up more and more in my internet searches for all things Bakker.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 05:20:11 pm »
Big +1 for sentiment.

I think we all have this general feeling that Bakker is going to be a huge success one-day. It'd be nice to be here for the Cultic Awakening ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 05:37:19 pm »
Saying Kellhus is the no-god is like saying the butler did it, without reading the book on why or how he did it, or even if he did it.

Scott refers to it as a cosmological who dunnit? Do you just skip to the last page of a whodunnit?
Well the title of the first series is "The No Prince" so I dunno if you even need to skip to the last page of the whodunnit, just read the cover and it gives away the ending.

Francis Buck

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 05:43:09 pm »

I don't think what was said was that out of line...  Francis Buck just said it was a knee-jerk reaction...

The other thing to consider is that we don't really know what the hell the No-God is at this point. Kellhus becoming the No-God could be one small part of a larger sequence of events (or even transformations on his part). But yeah, like I said, it's the knee-jerk reaction, and not one I particularly even like. I want Bakker to surprise me with a crazy twist as much as anyone, but even so it can still at least be considered for a moment.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 07:13:59 pm »
I want Bakker to surprise me with a crazy twist as much as anyone, but even so it can still at least be considered for a moment.

IMNSHO you do not have to be that defensive. Especially not just because one other random dude on the I-net disagrees with you or calls your idea too obvious. In the end, it wouldn't surprise me if Bakker surprises us in the way nobody thought...namely in not surprising us (ok, i know, that is too much circling thought for some...sue me ;) ).

As you said, it must not be the end-surprise at all...maybe Kellhus becomes the No God (kind-of-a-No-Surprise) but we are all surprised what this means and what we discover through the PoV of the newly awakened Dunyain-No-God. Who knows.

A "BIG surprise" (TM) just for the sake of a suprise/super-twist at the end is even more boring as a more predictable but more sensible solution, at least imo.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Francis Buck

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »
I...didn't really think I was being defensive? If I came off that way then I apologize, I wasn't like, super-offended by Callan's post or anything, just kinda clarifying a point from my own earlier post and then adding another to the discussion.

ETA: Actually, something else I just thought of in the process; if we assume for the sake of discussion that the Solitary God is indeed the "sum of all souls", and that this is also the same as the Dunyain's Absolute (riffing off the real-world Gnostic concepts of the Monad as I have in other threads, which is also sometimes called The Absolute), then perhaps Kellhus intends to become and/or wield the No-God as a method of condensing all souls? What if the whole "144,000 souls left on Earwa" is sort of like a critical mass, and that once that's reached the No-God becomes a sort of "black hole for souls", one which does not stop growing/consuming until it has drawn every soul into itself, thus becoming the Solitary God? Don't know, lot of hand-wavery going on there, but it came to me in thinking of the topic at-hand.

Then again it would bring into question whether or not the Consult totally understood what they were doing with the No-God in the first place, or if they were wielding something beyond their comprehension (like using a nuke to kill an ant-colony).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:02:35 pm by Francis Buck »

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 07:07:46 pm »

What do you mean by out of line? I'm trying to outline it's rather like skipping foreplay and trying to jump straight to the orgasm - when it's the journey that's really the bulk of the content, even if you can predict the ending.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 10:52:59 pm »

What do you mean by out of line? I'm trying to outline it's rather like skipping foreplay and trying to jump straight to the orgasm - when it's the journey that's really the bulk of the content, even if you can predict the ending.

Just seemed a bit abrasive.  An uninformed guess and a well thought out hypothesis can come to the same conclusion, unilaterally condemning the answer feels insulting. Thats all.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 03:08:08 pm »
Lol - what is even happening in this communication breakdown? Everyone feeling extra-slighted in their lives?

For what it's worth, many people over the years have concluded Kellhus is the No-God and weren't particularly upset by that seemingly inevitable conclusion. And if that turned out to be true and we all agree on it beforehand, well... we'd be about 10 goddamn people on the internet who saw it first, leaving Bakker's several thousand other ones who might not be so clever ;)?

But certainly, dismissal isn't evidence.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »
Maybe I'm just upset because I didn't see it originally :P

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:17 am »
I didn't actually dismiss anything (except to raise the question of accuracy, briefly!), I'm just talking about how one enjoys things even when (one thinks) one knows the ending. I think a rereading of my post will show I'm really just giving a boring old 'it's about the journey, man!' homily. I will plead guilty to the charge of repeating a boring cliche!

Garet Jax

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 06:04:32 pm »
The Solitary God/The No God

I have been of the mindset that the "gods" rise and fall in dominance/power based on their following.  I am basically going along the lines that all of the gods are Ciphrang of different power levels.

I think that since Fane had a whole nation supporting just one "god" it was making him more powerful than any single one of “the Hundred’ while the rest of the world either worshiped any of “the hundred”, the spaces in between like the Nonmen, or nothing at all.

Since the Dunyain could now have their hands in The Thousand Temples, Fanim Religion (I think Moe conditioned them to Kellhus' ultimate end), most of The Schools, The Dunyain (however many are left), The Great Ordeal… the list is pretty extensive at this point. Could it be possible that Kellhus has set himself up to be the next Solitary God with almost all of Earwa following him?  Which, if true, would make him pretty much eclipse all of the other Ciphrang in the outside?

The only difference between him becoming the No God and the Solitary God, is that he doesn't need to “shut out the world”, he would just create his own outside and dominate all others in the outside in the process. 

Side Tangent: IMO The No God is similar in definition.  They could have been trapping souls which would lead to an increase of power for the no god.  They were just stealing still born children and committing mass genocide to get their followers (in hopes to create their own "outside" in Earwa) while the Dunyain/Kellhus are doing it old school.

Feel free to swiss cheese me, it will only help.