Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 11:14:24 pm »
Awesome, thanks for disseminating !
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 12:45:56 am »
Very interesting.  I was sort of right, that there was a mansion at the point where the Yimaleti's come down into the Istyuli Plains, but not right in it being Siöl. I never thought of to place Nihrimsul, so defintely an oversight on my part.

Comparing the map from Som and this one, it seems that where Kellhus meets Moe near Kyudea was indeed not a high mansion, but rather might have actually been just a bathhouse/temple adjunct to Illiseru, as I think we had speculated it might be.  (Illiseru has never been named in the books, that I could find).

Interesting also that one of the "unnamed Mansions" was so close to Cil-Aujas and at first, I thought about the source for Chanv.  It is too far West, because it is rumored to come from the headwaters of the River Sayut.  However, the idea that it was an adjunct mansion they are mining for Chanv is definitely possible.

Interesting stuff for sure.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:10:53 am by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 02:26:11 am »
many things to comment on...

But this:
Cil-Aujas some two thousand miles to the south-east. [of golgotterath]
Viri was four hundred miles from where the cataclysm had taken place. [of golgotterath]
A vast circular depression (estimated at well over a hundred miles wide) had been created by the impact,

Distances. Very satisfying to me.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:30:46 am by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 03:07:45 am »
From Werthead at Westeros:

Siol is located is the Northern Great Kayarsus, north of the Sea of Cerish.

Nihrimsul is located at the south-eastern tip of the Yimaleti Mountains. Scott also said this spur of the mountains was the eastern border of Aorsi.

You know where Viri, Ishoriol and Cil-Aujas are, of course.

Illiseru was located in the Betmulla Mountains. He wouldn't say if this was the same mansion as the one Moenghus was chilling in, but I got the impression it wasn't. Illiseru is really big, that one wasn't.

The other three names are not finalised and will probably change: Curunq in the Araxes Mountains, Cil-Mihmul in the Hinayati Mountains and Incissal, located near modern-day Domyot. Apparently Incissal (or whatever it ends up being called) was captured by men and is actually inhabited by the modern people of Zeum, the only such Nonman mansion to be repurposed. I didn't put these in the article as I wanted it to be as close to canon as possible.

That also confirms - since the one near Atrithau isn't on the list - that there lots of other "lesser" mansions knocking around.

Also, on population levels: tens of thousands of Nonmen were killed in Viri (not counted as one of the most populous mansions) alone during the Arkfall. The populations of the mansions in their heyday must have been absolutely immense.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 04:00:35 am »
Lol - after reading that I suspect, as I mentioned to Wilshire earlier tonight, that this series will basically preview portions of the Expanded Glossary, forthcoming in TUC.

This is titled Part I and ends seguing to the "Age of Men in Eanna." Bets on Part II elucidating the Inchoroi interaction with the Halaroi of Eanna in classic, nonchalant bomb-dropping Bakker style?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 06:00:41 am »
Interesting also that one of the "unnamed Mansions" was so close to Cil-Aujas and at first, I thought about the source for Chanv.  It is too far East, because it is rumored to come from the headwaters of the River Sayut.  However, the idea that it was an adjunct mansion they are mining for Chanv is definitely possible.

Interesting stuff for sure.

H, one does not mine for Chanv, you simply break off a piece of a salted sorcerer. Come on now, only dead people get you high on Earwa.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 10:13:42 am »
H, one does not mine for Chanv, you simply break off a piece of a salted sorcerer. Come on now, only dead people get you high on Earwa.

Nah, I'm not buying that, about the sorcerers, but the dead people?  Well, yeah...I feel like the parallel between Chanv and Qirri is too deliberate.  Chanv is debased Qirri in my mind and somewhere in Jekhia is a bunch of burned mansions that they mine for it.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 11:15:52 am »
Oh, I like that! I didn't see where you was going with it, nice!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 12:15:10 pm »
Oh, I like that! I didn't see where you was going with it, nice!

I definitely could have been clearer...

Also, on the "new" map, I was surprised by a high Mansion in Zeüm.  What a coincidence (i.e. not a coincidence at all) that it is near present-day Domyot, the capital of Zeüm.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 12:28:41 pm »
Did you read my quoted comments by Wertzone at Westeros above, H?

Apparently Incissal (or whatever it ends up being called) was captured by men and is actually inhabited by the modern people of Zeum, the only such Nonman mansion to be repurposed. I didn't put these in the article as I wanted it to be as close to canon as possible.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 12:37:30 pm »
Did you read my quoted comments by Wertzone at Westeros above, H?

Apparently Incissal (or whatever it ends up being called) was captured by men and is actually inhabited by the modern people of Zeum, the only such Nonman mansion to be repurposed. I didn't put these in the article as I wanted it to be as close to canon as possible.

I kind of missed it, haha.

That is pretty interesting.  At least, as it appears on the map, Domyot is on the river and "Incissal" is in the hills north of it.  Still pretty interesting that they would live in it now, suggesting perhaps that for some reason, Incissal did not become a topoi, which is pretty fascinating when I think of it.  Virri seems to have avoided that too, as did Ishterebinth.  So, it seems that those of Cil-Aujas were really just especially jerks.

EDIT: Or, that Cil-Aujas was the only ones who had the audacity to do their dirty work in the High Mansion itself.  Others could have had larders in other places to diffuse the suffering?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:43:44 pm by H »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 12:47:00 pm »
Specifically Virri you'd think would not be a topos. As for the other's, I don't know.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »
Might get cleared up in the next installment.  But given Siol's location, it seems likely to have been the first to fall after the Breaking of the Gates.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 02:05:43 pm »
Mostly similar to the encyclopedia entry but it's always great to read again.

This is titled Part I and ends seguing to the "Age of Men in Eanna." Bets on Part II elucidating the Inchoroi interaction with the Halaroi of Eanna in classic, nonchalant bomb-dropping Bakker style?

I wouldn't be surprised given he dropped the Tusk bomb on Pat's blog, might as well unveil the rest about the Breaking of the Gates on Wert's. I kinda hope he won't though. I liked how the account of the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars came after TTT confirms that the Inchoroi are irrevocably damned aliens seeking to close off the outside. I feel like you gotta time these encyclopedia bits after they've been given some significance in the main story.